"Lleyn Peninsula And Surrounds, North Wales" Top 5 Page for this destination Gwynedd by nickandchris
Gwynedd Travel Guide: 1,302 reviews and 4,174 photos
This is one of our favourite Welsh coastal haunts, the Land's End of North Wales. It's another one of those locations that doesn't feature on the VT. map so I've placed it under Gwynedd.
We have camped many times on the Lleyn, both in tents and the motorhome.
Most people associate Snowdonia, Llandudno,Rhyl, Colwyn Bay and Anglesey with north Wales. Few know of the Lleyn Peninsula, an arm of land that juts out into the Irish Sea below Caernarfon, slightly southwest of Anglesey and west of Porthmadog. In the north, Snowdonia towers over the Lleyn. Wonderful beaches and seaside villages spread down both sides of the coast giving opportunity for boating and other coastal activities.
The hinterland is still mainly farming and the small villages have lost little of their olde worlde feel. Being one of the oldest parts of Wales, Welsh is the natives' first language and is spoken more than English.
You will find most of my tips are based on the coast, it's what we go to the Lleyn for.
Ordnance Survey Landranger 123 map.
Popular pastime of the Lleyn.
- Pros:Marvellous sandy beaches with a mountain backdrop
- Cons:Holiday homes
- In a nutshell:One of Wales's best kept secrets
A real beaut of a beach with excellent sand, which has the whistling element like Porth Oer. Cliffs and rocks at both... more travel advice
Actually, it's many years since we've visited Portmeirion so I don't know whether I should be calling it a tourist trap.... more travel advice
nickandchris' Related Pages
Gwynedd Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lleyn Peninsula And Surrounds, North Wales"
- "Dolgellau and surrounding areas of Mid Wales"
- "Anglesey Ynys Mon "
- "Mostly Anglesey really."
- "North Wales Delight"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gwynedd
- Hotels in Gwynedd
- Transportation in Gwynedd
- Nightlife in Gwynedd
- Restaurants in Gwynedd
- Shopping in Gwynedd
- Warnings and Dangers in Gwynedd
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gwynedd
- 26 Reviews
- 82 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Gwynedd?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gwynedd
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 55 reviews, 269 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 70 reviews, 254 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prefecture of Lesvos Intro, 54 reviews, 268 photos, 5 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 70 reviews, 248 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Highland Intro, 52 reviews, 258 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yialova Intro, 55 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 189 photos, 4 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paralion Astros Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Koroni Intro, 40 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues