"Lleyn Peninsula And Surrounds, North Wales" Top 5 Page for this destination Gwynedd by nickandchris

Gwynedd Travel Guide: 1,302 reviews and 4,174 photos

The Land Of Beaches....

This is one of our favourite Welsh coastal haunts, the Land's End of North Wales. It's another one of those locations that doesn't feature on the VT. map so I've placed it under Gwynedd.
We have camped many times on the Lleyn, both in tents and the motorhome.

Most people associate Snowdonia, Llandudno,Rhyl, Colwyn Bay and Anglesey with north Wales. Few know of the Lleyn Peninsula, an arm of land that juts out into the Irish Sea below Caernarfon, slightly southwest of Anglesey and west of Porthmadog. In the north, Snowdonia towers over the Lleyn. Wonderful beaches and seaside villages spread down both sides of the coast giving opportunity for boating and other coastal activities.
The hinterland is still mainly farming and the small villages have lost little of their olde worlde feel. Being one of the oldest parts of Wales, Welsh is the natives' first language and is spoken more than English.

You will find most of my tips are based on the coast, it's what we go to the Lleyn for.

Ordnance Survey Landranger 123 map.

Fun at the Seaside...

Popular pastime of the Lleyn.

• Pros:Marvellous sandy beaches with a mountain backdrop
  • Cons:Holiday homes
  • In a nutshell:One of Wales's best kept secrets
  • Last visit to Gwynedd: Aug 2004
  • Intro Updated Nov 7, 2006

• Oct 29, 2010 at 6:41 AM

Prepare for a long trek up after your day here. It always takes longer on the way back! I spent many happy childhood summers on this beach. Great waves for Body boarding, fab rock pool among the rocks to the left but beware the tide comes in pretty fast

• Jul 8, 2008 at 10:48 AM

Fantastic photos! and great information too!

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2008 at 3:36 AM

This is an area we haven't explored yet. Must persuade my daughter next time I'm in UK

• aaaarrgh's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2007 at 6:13 AM

Thank goodness for a page of serious, well-written tips! With all those holidays you must be fluent in Cymraeg ;)

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2007 at 11:08 PM

Your photos add to the intrigue. I would love to visit.

• littlesam1's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2007 at 12:18 PM

Great pages on Wales. Its the home of my ancestors and I want to visit hopefully in the next year or two.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2007 at 10:06 PM

Amazing page of an amazing place. So unspoilt with natural beautiful coastline. Your pictures help us to see the beauty of this location. Thanks for sharing. SL

• nebulaflash's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2006 at 1:31 PM

Whenever I visit Wales I feel as though this is where I came from. Your photos are beautiful and inspire a longing to return, although our kids were born here and we couldn't afford real estate in Europe now.

nickandchris

“Take nothing but photographs. Leave nothing but footprints.”

Badges & Stats in Gwynedd

Have you been to Gwynedd?

Latest Activity in Gwynedd