"North Yorkshire - So Much To See" Top 5 Page for this destination North Yorkshire by nickandchris
North Yorkshire Travel Guide: 3,430 reviews and 8,828 photos
The county of North Yorkshire encompasses the Dales, The Moors and the Vale Of York, spreading it's boundaries as far west as Settle and Skipton, north to Richmond, east as far as the coast at Filey and south to Selby.
The Yorkshire Dales are split into different valleys, following the rivers of the same names and provide spectacular walking country. Fields of sheep and cattle are bordered by drystone walls with small, pretty villages breaking up the countryside. Here,accommodation can be found for the many tourists who wish for a slice of outdoor life. Castles and priories abound, there's never one too far away in the Dales.
To the north and east, the north York Moors is one of the UK's largest expanse of heatherland moors, extending in the east to the north sea coast's cliffs and sandy beaches. It is probably better known for the steam railway that runs from Pickering to Grosmont and also to Whitby. Hugely popular, especially when themed days operate, it features in the TV programme Heartbeat.
The moors also offer excellent walking and many attractive villages offer refreshment in local pubs and tearooms. The rolling countryside on the slopes of the moors are divided into large fields, with hedges bordering rather than walls and agricultural farming mixes well with tourism.
Here, priories and abbeys are to be explored, Mount Grace and Rievaulx being a couple on the beaten track.
The North Yorkshire Moors became a National Park in 1982.
This part of North Yorkshire, we don't really know well, it being more populated and with flatter, less exciting countryside. Much of the landscape is taken up with flood plains from the major rivers, Ouse, Derwnt and Wharfe where the flat, largish fields are mainly found to grow arable crops. Like the moors, these are bounded by hedges, and woodland is scant.
The Vale of York is borderd by the Pennines, to the west, Yorkshire Wolds to the east, Vale of Mowbray to the north and the Humber estuary to the south. It provides the north - south transport corridor for northern England
York is the area's largest place, being one of England's most ancient cities and a mega tourist destination.
I have to say, I find this part of North Yorkshire boringly flat and mainly tedious, probably because I live in a hilly region of northern England.
- Pros:You can still find lesser known places.... just.
- Cons:Too popular and crowded in places.
- In a nutshell:Greatly varying landscapes in this vast area.
One of the more popular excursions in North Yorkshire. This steam train runs from Pickering to Grosmont and now also... more travel advice
A good few years back, we paid a visit to Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal Estate.Before digital cameras so again, no... more travel advice
nickandchris' Related Pages
North Yorkshire Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "God's own country!"
- "North Yorkshire - So Much To See"
- "North Yorkshire"
- "Yorkshire - typically English"
- "North Yorkshire"
- "Yorkshire Delights"
- "Touring North Yorkshire"
- See All...
- Things to Do in North Yorkshire
- Hotels in North Yorkshire
- Transportation in North Yorkshire
- Nightlife in North Yorkshire
- Restaurants in North Yorkshire
- Shopping in North Yorkshire
- Warnings and Dangers in North Yorkshire
- See All...
Badges & Stats in North Yorkshire
- 84 Reviews
- 342 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (101)
Have you been to North Yorkshire?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in North Yorkshire
- Posted in Travel Greece Forum "Re: Advice for best island for..."
- Commented on one of MikeBird's North Yorkshire travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Brimham Rocks"
- Wrote a Review North York Moors Railway in North Yorkshire Things to Do
- updated a North Yorkshire Travel Page "North Yorkshire - So Much To See"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 56 reviews, 269 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 70 reviews, 254 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prefecture of Lesvos Intro, 54 reviews, 268 photos, 5 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 70 reviews, 248 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Highland Intro, 52 reviews, 258 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Evia Intro, 53 reviews, 225 photos, 3 travelogues
- Yialova Intro, 55 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 199 photos, 4 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paralion Astros Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues