"Glorious Northumberland" Top 5 Page for this destination Northumberland by nickandchris
Northumberland Travel Guide: 407 reviews and 1,322 photos
Northumberland. That place in the east with castles, beaches and more castles. We spent Easter week in the area and discovered a huge amount of places to visit.
This is where we decided to join English Heritage for a year, allowing us cut-price entry to the many properties that they own around here.
That was way back in 1999. This Easter, 2007, the beauty of Northumberland beckoned us once again and we visited Cragside, Alnwick Gardens and Alnwick and Bamburgh Castle. And there's still loads of places we haven't explored yet. It would seem we'll have to return once again.
A re-visit to this glorious county was long over-due so May 2015 found us on our way. We wild camped in various places and also stayed on Snitter Farm CL near Rothbury.Main objective was to visit Howick Gardens, just east of Alnick. What a fantastic place!
Northumberland's coast is fantastic, with huge sandy swathes stretching for miles and harbour inlets on the rivermouths.
On our 1999 trip we explored the area between Norham, just south of Berwick, in the north and Amble, in the south, calling enroute at Belsay Hall and Prudoe Castle. Lindisfarne we had visited on another trip and also Berwick, a few years before.There are still plenty of places around here we haven't visited so another trip would be worthwhile.
Yes, we made our return trip this year, 2007 and concentrated on the Rothbury and Alnwick areas, with just one trip to the coast, to Bamburgh.
The above title is the meaning of the word Northumberland, a land that was plundered again and again by the Vikings. The county now encompasses some 1,942 sq. miles. For it's size, it has a relatively low population, with vast areas of the county being empty moorland.but other parts tranquil, rural open fields. Sheep farming is possibly the biggest earner with not a great deal of concession to tourism, apart from the odd pockets here and there.
From it's open coastline to it's wild and rugged interior, Northumberland contains Hadrian's Wall, The Cheviot Hills with the highest point reaching2676 ft, a National Park, Holy Island, a plethora of stately homes and castles including Alnwick, the seat of the Duke of Northumberland and some beautiful gardens. Simply too much to see in a week, we must return.Our English Heritage membership served us well and saved us a lot of money.
- Pros:Just a great place
- Cons:You'll have to visit more than once!
- In a nutshell:Untouristy but with LOTS to see and do
With the weather being glorious, it seemed the ideal opportunity to visit Howick Hall Gardens.Our visit was in June... more travel advice
Across the stream and opposite the house, although you can't see the house from them, are the formal gardens of... more travel advice
nickandchris' Related Pages
Northumberland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Glorious Northumberland"
- "Northumberland - Northen Edge Of England"
- "England’s Border country"
- "North Northumberland"
- "Walking Hadrian's Wall"
- "England's Most Northerly County"
- "Ben-UK's Northumberland page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Northumberland
- Hotels in Northumberland
- Transportation in Northumberland
- Nightlife in Northumberland
- Restaurants in Northumberland
- Shopping in Northumberland
- Warnings and Dangers in Northumberland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Northumberland
- 33 Reviews
- 120 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (102)
Have you been to Northumberland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Northumberland
- Posted in Travel Greece Forum "Re: Map of Crete"
- Commented on one of nickandchris's Northumberland tips
- Uploaded a Video to Northumberland
- Uploaded a Photo to "Howick Hall Gardens."
- Wrote a Review Howick Hall Gardens. in Northumberland Things to Do
- updated a Northumberland Travel Page "Glorious Northumberland"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 72 reviews, 280 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 59 reviews, 289 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Highland Intro, 56 reviews, 279 photos, 1 travelogue
- Scotland Intro, 71 reviews, 253 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Lesvos Intro, 54 reviews, 268 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Evia Intro, 53 reviews, 225 photos, 3 travelogues
- Yialova Intro, 55 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 199 photos, 4 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paralion Astros Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues