"Scotland's Gentle Face...." Borders by nickandchris
Borders Travel Guide: 88 reviews and 300 photos
The Scottish Borders are a less mountainous region than the Highlands and Scotland's northern extremeties. Rolling hills and forests once covered much of the landscape, but now most of the forests have disappeared, giving it a gentle beauty which is well worth exploring. Steeped in history and relatively easy to access the area makes a pleasant alternative to the barren ruggedness of the north.
The Scottish Borders stretch 18000 sq. miles along rolling hills and moors in the west to large agricultural plains in the east and so out onto the rugged coastline of Berwickshire.
It's long and often bloody history is illustrated in the museums, castles, abbeys and stately homes, all waiting to be explored.
The region is also renowned for it's tweeds and tartans and don't forget the knitwear outlets either.
We have visited the Borders twice, once when Michael was a toddler when we were mainly concentrated in the east and the second time in 1998 when we were in the west. It's a great place for family days out, walking, picnicing, cycling, fishing and so it goes on. Plenty of castles and abbeys to discover as well as information centres and gardens. I really think we should return for a third visit!!!!
- Pros:Interesting towns, not so well known and green landscape...
- In a nutshell:A peaceful region with interesting places to visit
I have to admit, I gave this one a miss and let the "boys" do it on their own. I don't know whether this was the start... more travel advice
A pleasant Borders town situated at the confluence of the Rivers Tweed and Teviot, looked over by the Lammermuir Hills... more travel advice
nickandchris' Related Pages
Borders Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hadrian’s Wall Walk, Bowness on Solway to Wallsend"
- "Scotland's Gentle Face...."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Borders
- Hotels in Borders
- Transportation in Borders
- Restaurants in Borders
- Shopping in Borders
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Borders
- 14 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Borders?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Borders
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 55 reviews, 269 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 70 reviews, 254 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prefecture of Lesvos Intro, 54 reviews, 268 photos, 5 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 70 reviews, 248 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Highland Intro, 52 reviews, 258 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yialova Intro, 55 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 189 photos, 4 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paralion Astros Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Koroni Intro, 40 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (50)
Top Borders hotels