"WARNING......VIRTUAL TOURIST IS ADDICTIVE!" nickandchris's Profile

New Improved Motorhome, More trips to Come....

WINTER SEEMS TO BE DRAGGING ON FOREVER,SO MANY STORMS AND SO MUCH FLOODING.FORTUNATELY IN OUR LITTLE CORNER OF ENGLAND WE HAVE FARED OK AND THANK OUR LUCKY STARS WE REMAINED DRY. THE COAST. HOWEVER, HAS TAKEN A SERIOUS BATTERING AND MUCH OF WHAT WE KNEW IS NO LONGER RECOGNISEABLE.

WE ARE HOPING WINTER IS ON IT'S WAY OUT AND ARE LOOKING FORWARD TO MANY TRIPS AWAY IN THE MOTORHOME IN 2014.WE HAVE ALSO BOOKED A LONG OVER-DUE HOLIDAY TO GREECE FOR MAY, FOR WHICH WE ARE BUSILY MAKING PLANS.

2013 WE UPGRADED OUR MOTORHOME TO A 2002 FORD AUTOSLEEPER, WHICH WE ARE VERY PLEASED WITH AND HAVE HAD MANY EXCITING TRIPS IN IT, MAINLY TO SCOTLAND! CAN'T WAIT TO GET OUT AND ABOUT AGAIN.....

2012 AND OUR TWO REMAINING CATS DIED, A FEW MONTHS APART.IT WASN'T LONG BEFORE WE FOUND A NEW FURRY FRIEND, IN THE FORM OF A FOUR MONTH OLD GINGER MALE CAT, WHOM WE NAMED FEARGAL.HE MOST DEFINITELY RULES THE ROOST BUT IS AS SOFT AS PUTTY.

Introduction To VT

Pilion in Greece. That was my introduction to VT in 2004 and from there I spent many, many hours writing tips and exploring Virtual Tourist. I still enjoy writing tips but find too many other distractions on the internet to be as faithful to this site as I used to be.

I had always wanted to keep an account of our holidays, having already written diaries every time we were away and this seemed the ideal way to elaborate and include photos.
If no-one else benefits from my pages, I am at least enjoying the writing. It is amazing how nostalgic you can become , pining for the good old days when you were younger and fitter, stepping back in time and recording an old holiday. Probably of no interest to anybody whatsoever but there you go, you win some, you lose some!!! Certainly it is worth it for me, to relive these halcyon days!!!

By the way, I am still only able to use two fingers for typing!!!!! One day.............

Most of my pages are written from a personal view and when I first started writing I wasn't sure if people would find them interesting or useful. I have since helped a number of people asking advice on places I've visited, so I do now feel the effort is worthwhile.

Whilst flicking through various members pages it never ceases to amaze me that you can all speak such good English. So many of you from so many different countries. It puts us Brits to shame;- what do the majority of us speak? English and not much else.
5c*

Early Days

I suppose my first travelling experiences were as a child on holiday jaunts to Cornwall,Devon, Dorset and South Wales.We always went on coastal holidays which mum organised and we always went swimming in the sea whatever the weather.
Now, married for 29 years, I still feel holidays should be by the sea but the swimming isn't quite so important, particularly in England and Scotland!

My first trip without the family, or school, was to America and Canada for three weeks, as a niave 20yr. old, with a boyfriend. We toured the west coast from San Fransisco to Kittemat in B.C. I remember thinking how modern and new everything looked compared with Olde England!
Next came a two and a half month trip overland to Europe, starting in Spain, travelling to Italy and ending in Greece, which is when my love for Greece began.

We always try to visit Greece once a year, it being the country we know and love best (apart from England) and have done so for 31 years.
We tend to book off the beaten track package holidays with car hire and roam at our free will. We used to travel independantly but have found a cheap package works out cheaper than a flight only to a lesser known airport.
People who live close enough to Luton airport are fortunate to be able to use the Easyjet service to Athens. It would take a day out of our holiday for us to do this, living in the far-off north of the country. Oh the joys of living in the north of England!

Exploring

As well as basing ourselves on the coast we do make the effort to explore inland Greece and fell in love with Arcadia which we have vowed to return to one day. Unfortunately, travelling for miles in a car on Greek roads is not our 15yr. olds idea of a fun holiday so we have to compromise and not travel too long a distance in one day. Very frustrating for Nick and I!!

Most of my Greek pages are recollections from diaries I kept and are therefore more personal than informative. Maybe not to everyone's taste.

The Old Motorhome

As well as our Greek holidays we toured in England quite a bit in our elderly motorhome. We bought this in 1996 with the wild idea of travelling overland to Greece in it, which we actually did the following year. It was an amazing adventure, an experience more than a holiday as the potential for things to go wrong was great!! Obviously the main issue was the age of the van and of course we did have plenty of technical problems but we got there and back and still ran the old Bedford for a good few years more. We finally found a suitable replacement for the Bedford, a 1991 Elddis Autostratus and later, in 2013, a 2002 Ford Autosleeper .Who knows whether this one will last us out?
You will find my story of "The Adventure" spread over my various pages on Greece A lot of it is totally irrelevant and is not so informative as more of a collection of rambling diary entries and memories!! Try it if you want.

Our Patch

We live in the small town of Dalton-in-Furness, south west Cumbria. Close to the sea and also to the beautiful lakes and mountains of the Lake District.
We feel we are very fortunate to just be able to take off in the motorhome, even if it's only for one night or a few miles up the road, we know we'll always be in attractive countryside and have peace and tranquility.
Something we really like doing after stormy conditions is to go to the beaches on Walney Island (about 5 miles from Dalton) and collect large amounts of wood that's been washed in on the storm tides. We can collect enough firewood to keep our real fire at home burning for several weeks.
Beach-combing is also an essential past-time. You never know what you might find!!
We belong to two cats, one black, and one black and white!

SOME BORING DETAILS

MARRIED FOR THIRTY THREE YEARS.
TWO SONS, 27 yrs and 18yrs.
ONE CAT
NICK IS CURRENTLY AN UNEMPLOYED CIVIL ENGINEER.
I AM HAPPILY EMPLOYED AS MUM, HOUSEWIFE AND CHIEF HOLDAY ORGANISER.
LIKES:
CATS
VEGETABLE GARDENING
THE MOUNTAINS.
MEETING INTERESTING PEOPLE
V.T.

Moving On.....

Michael continues to work in London and enjoys his life to the full.

Philip is now in his first year at Liverpool University where he is studying Mechanical Engineering. Life is full of fun for him and we are pleased and relieved he settled so easily into his new life.

Nick and I find life quiet and mainly undemanding with the boys away and we are enjoying time to ourselves.However, we always look forward to their visits home, when the fatted calf is duly killed.

We are down to one cat, an 18 month old pretty ginger male whom we love dearly.

• Intro Updated Mar 7, 2014

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
nickandchris's Profile Photo

nickandchris

“Take nothing but photographs. Leave nothing but footprints.”

Real Name