"Surabaya - The City of Hero" Top 5 Page for this destination Surabaya by blue_sky04
Surabaya Travel Guide: 192 reviews and 397 photos
Surabaya is the capital of East Java Province. East Java itself has lots of interesting histories, cultures, and beautiful places to visit. And, Surabaya is the gate to visit other areas in East Java.
As the second largest city in Indonesia after the capital city of Jakarta, Surabaya plays an important role for the country.
Surabaya's development is affected much by the industrialization. There are some industrial estates or areas around the city or in the neighboring cities, which produce many different products for Indonesian market as well as for exporting.
Starting from year 2003, the government is building a bridge that connects Surabaya and Madura Island (in the north of Surabaya) to foster the delevopment of the local economy
Like other places in Indonesia, people living in Surabaya come from different ethnics and backgrounds. There are Javanese, Maduranese, Chinese, Balinese, and many others. As the city is close to Madura Island, the culture here is also affected much by the culture from the island. For example, what is considered as the traditional costume of Surabaya is basically the traditional costume from Madura island.
Places of interests in town include the Surabaya zoo, Mpu Tantular Museum, Tugu Pahlawan (the Monument of Hero), the "old town" area or Chinese Square, Arab Square.
Surabaya is well known as the City of Hero. It is related to the history of Surabaya around 1945. The battle between the Indonesians & the Dutch and British armies in Surabaya was the event which triggered other battles all over Indonesia in attempt to establish the independency from Dutch colonialism.
Another interesting history is about the Majapahit Kingdom. The Majapahit Empire was a great kingdom in East Java. The Kingdom ruled the areas of Malaya, Borneo, Sumatra, and Bali from about 1293-1500. Its greatest ruler was Hayam Wuruk (1350-1389). The Majapahit was the last of the great Hindu empires of the Malayan archipelago. The founder of the Majapahit Empire was Kertarajasa (the son-in-law of the ruler of the Singhasari kingdom, which was also based in Java). The Prime Minister and regent of Majapahit (1331-1364), Gajah Mada, extended the empire's rule to the surrounding islands.
After peaking the 1300s, Majapahit power began to decline with a war over succession that started in 1401 and went on for four years. Dates for the end of the Majapahit Empire range from 1478 to 1520.
The remains of Majapahit Empire is located around Trowulan.
More information and photos of Surabaya, visit:
Photos of Surabaya in the past
Traveling to East Java
Photos of Indonesia
Thanks for visiting!
- This monument (Tugu Pahlawan) is the symbol of Surabaya city, which is open for public.
- Popular food/beverage: rujak cingur, soto ayam, soto madura, ayam goreng, rawon, lontong mie, semanggi surabaya, angsle.
- popular fruit: mangoo (from neighboring city Probolinggo)
- local culture: reog (from neighboring city Ponorogo), and kerapan sapi/ the bull race (in Madura Island)
Although Surabaya is not one of the most beautiful places in the world, I still call it home.
The name of Surabaya comes from the words "sura" (means shark) and "baya" (means crocodile), and there is a local tale about those shark and crocodile and the reason why this city is named Surabaya. In front of the Surabaya zoo there is a monument representing the story of "sura" and "baya".
The population in Surabaya is approx 3 million
If you like mountains, you can consider visiting East Java. There are many mountains in East Java which can easily be accessed from Surabaya. Most popular mountains are:
- Mt. Bromo
- Mt. Semeru
- Mt. Ijen
- Mt. Welirang
- Mt. Arjuno
Here is a map of other attractions around East Java
- Pros:interesting places to visit, nice people, lots of good food
- Cons:hot and humid, traffic jam, a bit polluted by the industries
- In a nutshell:It's the gate to reach beautiful places around East Java
If you go to Mt. Bromo from Surabaya by bus, you will need to stop at the bus station in the city of Probolinggo before... more travel advice
Major credit cards such as VISA, MASTER, and AMEX are widely accepted in Surabaya as well as in many other cities in... more travel advice
blue_sky04's Related Pages
Surabaya Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Surabaya - The City of Hero"
- "Surabaya ~ The City of Heroes"
- "The City of Hero`s"
- "The Second Large City in Indonesia"
- "Food & Fruit"
- "Surabaya, Indonesia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Surabaya
- Hotels in Surabaya
- Transportation in Surabaya
- Nightlife in Surabaya
- Restaurants in Surabaya
- Shopping in Surabaya
- Warnings and Dangers in Surabaya
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Surabaya
- 45 Reviews
- 57 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Surabaya?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Surabaya
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Surabaya Intro, 45 reviews, 58 photos, 5 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 29 reviews, 59 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tengger Caldera Intro, 28 reviews, 26 photos
- Vancouver Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Oregon Intro, 12 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bali Intro, 14 reviews, 16 photos
- Taipei Intro, 9 reviews, 20 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 13 reviews, 12 photos
- New York City Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (20)
Latest Surabaya hotel reviews
- Garden Palace Hotel Surabaya
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Hyatt Regency
- 55 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Surabaya Hilton International
- 35 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 27, 2013
- Hotel Ibis Rajawali Surabaya
- 69 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 17, 2013
- 66 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 8, 2013
- Singgasana Hotel Surabaya
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 27, 2013
- Sheraton Surabaya Hotel & Towers
- 237 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Hotel Royal Regal Surabaya
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013
- d'Season Hotel Surabaya
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 8, 2013
- Hotel Majapahit Surabaya
- 203 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- Novotel Surabaya Hotel
- 216 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Hotel Elmi
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 26, 2013
- Shangri La Surabaya
- 125 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Grand Kalimas Hotel
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Tunjungan Hotel
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013