Cancún Things to Do Tips by spgood301
Cancún Things to Do: 418 reviews and 540 photos
El Rey Ruins. Notice the Hilton in the background
The El Rey Ruins are located just south of the Cancun Hotel Zone, indeed right below the Hilton. They were part of a Mayan city prominent on Cancun Island before the Spanish Conquest. The El Rey ruins are not the most visited part of Cancun - indeed, I was the first one to visit on the day I came, and it was completely empty save for a couple of workers.
You walk into the ruins and are greeted by iguanas and lizards, almost as if they're standing guard over the ruins. Relax, they're harmless. I think, anyway. From there, just spend some time walking around the ruins. It's kind of surreal, really. Unlike Chichen Itza, it's eerily quiet at El Rey. Just you, the ruins and the ghosts. These structures, probably over a thousand years old, stand amidst the modern towering hotel towers of Cancun. Quite a contrast.
El Rey isn't nearly as preserved as Chichen Itza, but it isn't a daytrip from Cancun either. If you want to stay in Cancun and visit some historic ruins, spend some time at El Rey. Admission is 34 pesos.
Address: Right on Bvd Kukulcan, on the hotel strip
Directions: Just south of the Hilton.
Chichen Itza - the Castillo de Kukulcan
What can one say about the breathtaking Chichen Itza? Well, it's one of the new Seven Wonders of the World for a reason. It was once a city of over 40,000 people. The Castillo, the Ball Court, the Observatory...simply amazing. These huge Mayan ruins are not to be missed. Indeed, the descendants of those whose lived here over 1000 years ago still live in this area.
I will have a separate page about Chichen Itza shortly, with much more info and pictures. The journey from Cancun lasts two-and-a-half to three hours. Most people get there by tour bus, though you can drive there too. The tour I took took us through the Mexican city of Valladolid & to a place to buy our souvenirs before arriving at the ruins. Afterwards, we went to a ceynote and a delicious Mexican buffet before heading back to Cancun.
You can make reservations on line before heading to Cancun, or you can do what I did: arrange my trip through a travel agent at my hotel. My advice is to do so before you leave - you'll probably save some money.
Either way, you owe a Chichen Itza daytrip to yourself. It's a fascinating, indeed inspiring place. And it's a good way to break up a beach vacation.
A Cancun beach, on the north part of the "strip"
Now, how could the beaches of Cancun be both hot and not hot at the same time? Very simple. You know one of the hottest things to do in Cancun is going to the beach. To swim, play in the surf, or just catch some rays. Where Cancun's beachs are not hot, is on your feet. You know how, when you walk on many beaches, you have to take baby steps while muttering "hot, hot, hot". You'll never do that in Cancun. Even under the hot Mexican sun, your tootsies stay nice and cool in the sand.
Cancun, and the entire Mayan Riviera, has plenty of good beaches. Most hotels on the "strip" have their own beaches right behind them, and they'll have plenty of beach chairs for you. The water's always nice and comfortable, though the undertow was kinda nasty when I was there (maybe because there was a tropical depression in Texas at the time). Watch the flags on the beach - if they're red or black, be careful out there.
If you're a beach person, get out there and enjoy - I'm sure you'll find a beach you'll love.
Address: They're all over - it's Cancun!!!
More Reviews (13)
spgood301's Related Pages
Cancún Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Paradise in the Carribean"
- "Spring Break 24/7/365"
- "CANCUN ---PARADISE IN MEXICO"
- "Cancun, Mexico"
- "Cancun Condo"
- "Cancun, Mexico"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cancún
- Hotels in Cancún
- Transportation in Cancún
- Nightlife in Cancún
- Restaurants in Cancún
- Shopping in Cancún
- Warnings and Dangers in Cancún
- See All...
Explore the World
- Araquey Hotels
- Ko Raya Ring Hotels
- Sandy Island Hotels
- Berwick-Upon-Tweed Hotels
- Heart Island
- Lake District National Park
Badges & Stats in Cancún
- 16 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Cancún?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cancún
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: The sharing of marriage..."
- Commented on one of keida84's Cancún travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "The beach can be an eerie place sometimes..."
- created a Cancún Travelogue "The beach can be an eerie place sometimes..."
- Wrote a Review Good Times at Pat's in Cancún Restaurants
Photos in CancúnSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 44 reviews, 92 photos, 1 travelogue
- Philadelphia Intro, 41 reviews, 65 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 20 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 16 reviews, 60 photos, 6 travelogues
- London Intro, 21 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 39 reviews, 27 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 22 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
- Charleston Intro, 6 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cancún Intro, 16 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue
- Baltimore Intro, 5 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
Latest Cancún hotel reviews
- Soberanis Hostel Cancun
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 8, 2013
- Cancun Marina Club Hotel
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 7, 2008
- Villas Marlin
- 150 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 29, 2013
- Girasol Condo Hotel
- 75 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 16, 2011
- Hotel Bonampak
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 1, 2012
- El Pueblito Beach Hotel
- 444 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 1, 2012
- Dos Playas Hotel
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
- Hotel del Sol
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 27, 2013
- Hostal Marpez
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 8, 2012
- Condominios Carisa Y Palma
- 47 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2012
- Golden Shores Crown Paradise
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 20, 2013
- Hotel El Rey Del Caribe
- 191 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Caribe Internacional
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 7, 2012
- Continental Plaza Cancun
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Chichen Itza- 56 Reviews, 85 Photos
- Xcaret- 50 Reviews, 66 Photos
- Downtown Cancun- 13 Reviews, 21 Photos
- Isla Mujeres- 49 Reviews, 63 Photos
- Xel-Ha- 25 Reviews, 28 Photos
- Swim with Dolphins- 18 Reviews, 25 Photos
- Beaches of Cancun- 26 Reviews, 33 Photos
- Tulum- 42 Reviews, 55 Photos
- Playa Del Carmen- 12 Reviews, 14 Photos
- Water Sports- 27 Reviews, 36 Photos
See All Cancún Things to Do