"A Place of Fascinating Contrasts" Cancún by spgood301

Cancún Travel Guide: 1,959 reviews and 3,926 photos

I went to Cancun looking for several things: fun in the sun, great nightlife, meeting wonderful people, and a little history too. And I got all of that there. Amidst all of the hotel and nightclub sprawl of Cancun (and there's a whole lot if it there too), there's still the sense that you've entered a place with a great past. Indeed, the remains of an ancient Mayan civilization are no more than a short drive from the hotel zone.

The thing that struck me when I left Cancun was the big smile I had on my face. The people I met, looking over the beach having a few Coronas, my day at Chichen Itza and, yes, the idiot I made of myself at times. Memories to last a lifetime. I left a lot of things undone but that's OK - I can't wait to go back. The Mayan Riviera ROCKS!!!

And if you were staying at the JW Marriott and saw some guy taking pictures of the sunrise while in his underwear...yeah, that was me. Sorry! But enjoy the piccie anyway.

Here are some other images of Cancun. Enjoy!

A whole lot of beach, and a whole lot of hotel

I really like this picture. I took on the beach at sunrise. It was a little hazy that morning - do you think that enhances this picture?

• Pros:You can do just about anything you want to do here.
  • Cons:Very sprawling - things are a bit too spread out.
  • In a nutshell:I left with a big smile on my face. Enough said.
  • Last visit to Cancún: Aug 2007
  • Intro Written Aug 20, 2007

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2009 at 8:05 AM

Excellent page - I particularly like the beach!!

• Kisses&Co's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2009 at 4:55 PM

I think, YES! ;-) Try to learn more tagalog words too! ;-)

• Hikerpark's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2008 at 4:18 AM

Long time, no see. How are you! Great tips on your Cancun pages!

• monina_c's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2007 at 9:40 PM

Hahaha! Now you're blaming the camera Steve? Too much beer will make everything hazy!

• thecatsmeow's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2007 at 10:06 AM

Good Morning or afternoon whatever. So whats up with you? Work going well?

• Bilimari's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2007 at 4:25 PM

Got a postcard. Thanks! :) Right. I didn't drink any Guinness when I was there, either.

• Aug 22, 2007 at 1:07 PM

Just loved your Marriott Casamagna tip! Greetings from sunny Italy, Francesca

• Fullmoonfever's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2007 at 6:27 PM

Don't you just love those swim-up bars? we went to cancun in 2002. I have been told that people can no longer climb the pyramid, is that true?

spgood301