"Start spreadin' the news..." New York City by spgood301
New York City Travel Guide: 15,557 reviews and 30,993 photos
New York City is, well, New York City. It knows exactly what it is. New York is brash. It's tough. It's in your face. It doesn't just crave attention, it DEMANDS attention. And attention will be paid.
The most amazing thing about being from New York is just how many New Yorkers there are in the world. Hey, there's 15 million of us. And, even if there aren't any New Yorkers around, someone near you is wearing a knock-off Yankee hat. Hey, they were even on sale in Barcelona-think "Big Stein" knows about that? C'mon George, we need a few more 40 year old pitchers!
Dirty water dogs, cheesecake, delis and, yeah, baseball. Come, take a bite of the Big Apple. And, to pharaphrase the Rolling Stones, you won't find no maggots!
New York has had many songs written it over the years. Here's a sample of New York songs. I know I missed quite a few-feel free to give me suggestions and I'll add them to my page...and give you the credit for the suggestion too! (No cheating by searching on itunes, now...and this isn't all request radio either! :-)
New York, New York-Sinatra, & also from On the Town by Comden, Green and Bernstein...thanks to Minstrelette for that one
New York Groove- Ace Frehley
The Boxer- Simon & Garfunkel
Walk on the Wild Side-Lou Reed
Autumn in New York-Sinatra
Sunday in New York- Mel Torme?
New York State of Mind- Billy Joel
A Heart in New York-Art Garfunkel
Fairytale of New York-the Pogues...great song about the Irish in NY. Thanks to IrishFem for posting the lyrics-I forgot all about this one!
New York Minute - Don Henley, Only LIving Boy in New York - Simon and Garfunkel, 59th Street Bridge Song - Simon and Garfunkel AND Harpers Bizzare (betcha think I didn't know that one heeheee)...special thanks to Nicolaitan for all of those.
now, what did I miss?
One of my favorite things about New York City is the amount of parks, all an oasis from city life. The most famous, of course, is Central Park, but there are many smaller parks that are worth visiting too.
I'm partial to Madison Square Park, on 5th Ave between 23rd and 26th Streets. I used to work right across the street. The best part of my day was just hanging out in the park on a sunny day-it's great to chill out from a hectic NY work day. You can have a little picnic and, if you're a dog lover, check out the dog walk-the pooches never fail to entertain.
Bryant Park is right in the heart of midtown, behind the NY Public Library on 6th Ave and 42nd St. It's got a bar & restaurant right behind the library, and hosts concerts (including ABC-TV's Good Morning America). And, it's right in the busiest part of the city. One warning: much of this park is right in the open, not all that many trees to protect you from the sun. Still, a great little park.
There are so many other parks to check out in NYC. Further downtown, theres Union Square, Tompkins Square Park in the East Village (it's got a separate dog walk for little dogs - Annie would love it!) & Battery Park, waaaayyy the heck downtown. Wherever you are, you're never too far away from that needed break from city life.
- Pros:Everything's here
- Cons:Everything's here
- In a nutshell:The best of everything and yes, sometimes the worst of everything.
Unless he was as handy with a hammer as he was with a baseball bat, probably not. But the history of Yankee Stadium,... more travel advice
The Time Warner Center, in Columbus Circle, houses CNN, among other companies. But it's not just a corporate building.... more travel advice
spgood301's Related Pages
New York City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A NYC GYPSY AT HEART"
- "NYC: Everyday, Something new."
- "I Heart New York."
- ""I want to be a part of it ...""
- ". : New York City : ."
- "New York City"
- "I loved it - and I don't even like apples!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New York City
- Hotels in New York City
- Transportation in New York City
- Nightlife in New York City
- Restaurants in New York City
- Shopping in New York City
- Warnings and Dangers in New York City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New York City
- 16 Reviews
- 60 Photos
- 14 Forum posts
- 45 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to New York City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New York City
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: The sharing of marriage..."
- Commented on one of brummielaura's New York City travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "All Star Weekend in NYC - Statues on Parade"
- created a New York City Travelogue "All Star Weekend in NYC - Statues on Parade"
- Wrote a Review Yankee Stadium: Did Babe Ruth REALLY build it? about Baseball in New York City Sports & Outdoors
Photos in New York CitySee All Photos (60)
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 44 reviews, 92 photos, 1 travelogue
- Philadelphia Intro, 41 reviews, 65 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 20 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 16 reviews, 60 photos, 6 travelogues
- London Intro, 21 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 39 reviews, 27 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 22 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
- Charleston Intro, 6 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cancún Intro, 16 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue
- Baltimore Intro, 5 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
Latest New York City hotel reviews
- Eastgate Tower
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
- 414 Hotel
- 311 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 16, 2013
- Milburn Hotel
- 459 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 19, 2013
- Hotel Riverside Studios
- 210 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 3, 2013
- Chic&Budget New York
- 100 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 4, 2013
- Larchmont Hotel
- 286 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 18, 2013
- Hotel East Houston
- 162 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 15, 2013
- Four Seasons New York
- 408 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 13, 2013
- Metro-Home Sutton Place
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 22, 2010
- McBurney YMCA
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Sugar Hill Harlem Inn New York
- 276 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 2, 2013
- The St. Regis, New York
- 378 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 11, 2013
- The Phillips Club
- 30 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013
- The Peninsula New York
- 322 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 10, 2013