"KOLACHE CAPITAL OF TEXAS: WEST, TX" West by Rich62
West Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 28 photos
AND WHY do they call it that? So that folk will not think you are talking about "West Texas". You gotta have that comma in there!
West is located, not in west Texas, but deep in the heart of central Texas. It is found along Interstate 35 just a few miles north of Waco. Its an easy off, easy on type of stop, and you will probably leave with a few Kolaches to enjoy on the rest of your trip. We did. More than once.
In April of 2013, a fertilizer plant on the edge of town, exploded. It took the lives of several volunteer firemen and other first responders, and injured many townspeople. It also destroyed homes and apartments.
I took this photo one week after the blast, many blocks away from the fertilizer plant, showing a typical home which had windows blown out and boarded up.
It will take a long time to recover from this.
- Pros:Kolaches! also a nice antique store on the corner
- Cons:the tragic explosion which took place in April of 2013
- In a nutshell:Whenever we stop for kolaches, we will always think of the tragedy of 2013.
Never forget the volunteer firemen and other first responders who lost their lives in April of 2013, when a nearby... more travel advice
Rich62's Related Pages
West Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "KOLACHE CAPITAL OF TEXAS: WEST, TX"
- "The trip to Dallas never tasted better!"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in West
- 5 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (148)
Have you been to West?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in West
Photos in WestSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kearney Intro, 139 reviews, 399 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omaha Intro, 42 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lincoln Intro, 32 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nebraska Intro, 36 reviews, 98 photos
- Georgetown Intro, 27 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fredericksburg Intro, 19 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Collins Intro, 27 reviews, 80 photos
- Boston Intro, 19 reviews, 71 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 17 reviews, 71 photos
- Austin Intro, 19 reviews, 69 photos