" THE LAND OF MUSHROOMS AND FLOWERS " Top 5 Page for this destination Kennett Square by Rich62
Kennett Square Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 126 photos
LONGWOOD GARDENS, on Route 1 in southeastern Pennsylvania just east of Kennett Square, was created by Pierre DuPont (yes, thats THE Dupont family) for the enjoyment of the public and, some say, as a nice tax writeoff. But for whatever reason, they are well worth visiting.
In the summer of 1966 I was a Horticulture major at Colorado State University and was selected, along with 12 other students from the U.S. and South Africa, to be a summer intern. Do you see the tower above? my first job was trimming the vines that were overtaking the top of the tower. The waterfall to the left of the tower is man-made and turned on each morning, but is very nice to see and hear.
IN A HUGE FORMAL GARDEN AREA you will find these computer-controlled fountains. They put on a spectacular display and can be viewed from the ground level or from a large balcony across the garden.
I NEARLY FORGOT TO MENTION...Kennett Square is also the mushroom growing capital of the United States. Sadly, I have no pictures to show you, but there are many growing houses in this area. Just look at the label on a can of mushrooms in your grocery store, and it is likely to come from Kennett Square or the immediate area.
EVEN AFTER DARK...NO, ESPECIALLY AFTER DARK, the fountains are an amazing sight to see. Computer-controlled colored lights give the whole performance an added dimension. You will not forget what you see here.
By the way, the gardens are about 30 miles west of Philadelphia, on Route 1.
- Pros:A THOUSAND ACRES OF BEAUTY
- Cons:NO CONS THAT I KNOW OF
- In a nutshell:I WOULD VISIT EVERY YEAR IF I COULD
THE WATERFALL, ALTHOUGH MAN-MADE, IS beautiful to see and to hear. It is turned on each morning and off again at... more travel advice
A RELATIVELY NEW FEATURE that is popular with young boys, but fun for everyone to see. more travel advice
Rich62's Related Pages
Kennett Square Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Longwood Gardens at Christmas"
- "Kennett Square"
- "LONGWOOD GARDENS"
- "Longwood Gardens"
- " THE LAND OF MUSHROOMS AND FLOWERS "
- "JVENUTO's new Kennett Square Page"
- "Mid-Summer at Longwood Gardens"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kennett Square
- Nightlife in Kennett Square
- Restaurants in Kennett Square
- Shopping in Kennett Square
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kennett Square
- 9 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Kennett Square?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kennett Square
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "You are right! The NCAA..."
- Commented on one of eugini2001's Kennett Square travel pages
- Uploaded a Video to Kennett Square
- updated a Kennett Square Travel Page " THE LAND OF MUSHROOMS AND FLOWERS "
- Wrote a Review SEE THE WATERFALL AND THE "EYE OF WATER" in Kennett Square Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "SEE THE WATERFALL AND THE "EYE OF WATER""
Photos in Kennett SquareSee All Photos (47)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kearney Intro, 139 reviews, 399 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omaha Intro, 42 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lincoln Intro, 32 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nebraska Intro, 36 reviews, 98 photos
- Georgetown Intro, 27 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fredericksburg Intro, 19 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Collins Intro, 27 reviews, 80 photos
- Boston Intro, 19 reviews, 71 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 17 reviews, 71 photos
- Austin Intro, 19 reviews, 69 photos