"A SMALL TOWN ALONG THE PLATTE RIVER ROAD" Overton by Rich62
Overton Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 21 photos
Overton is a small town located along the Lincoln Highway (Highway 30) in Nebraska. It is just north of Interstate 80 and has an exit on the interstate. Overton is located in south central Nebraska, west of Kearney.
Just on the east edge of town, this old Lincoln Highway bridge has been built (or rebuilt), apparently in the original location of America's first transcontinental highway. The photo was taken from highway 30, which is the present Lincoln Highway.
By the way, those trains in the background are on the route of the Great Transcontinal Railroad, now the Union Pacific triple-main line.
On the west edge of town, a mountain of grain (corn) grows daily as the harvest comes in. The grain elevators are filled to bursting, so the rest must go on the ground until it is sold and transported. This corn will be fed to cattle to produce delicious corn-fed beef.
- Pros:A good location, along the interstate
- Cons:a very small town
- In a nutshell:Overton is ok with me.
This is a recently erected historical marker just east of Overton along highway 30. It gives a glimpse into the hard... more travel advice
Rich62's Related Pages
Overton Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Overton
- 5 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Overton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Overton
Photos in OvertonSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kearney Intro, 139 reviews, 399 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omaha Intro, 42 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lincoln Intro, 32 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nebraska Intro, 36 reviews, 98 photos
- Georgetown Intro, 27 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fredericksburg Intro, 19 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Collins Intro, 27 reviews, 80 photos
- Boston Intro, 19 reviews, 71 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 17 reviews, 71 photos
- Austin Intro, 19 reviews, 69 photos