"Home of The Henry Doorly Zoo" Top 5 Page for this destination Omaha by Rich62
Omaha Travel Guide: 258 reviews and 443 photos
It may not be as well-known as the San Diego Zoo, but Omaha's zoo is one of the top-rated ones in the nation. Jack Hanna recently called it one of the top 5 zoos in the world! Within the zoo you will find the world's largest indoor rain forest, known as the Lied Jungle. You can examine life in the jungle from trails that wind through it on two levels. Also, there is a cafe' next to the tree canopy where you can enjoy lunch and watch the creatures of the jungle below. The birds and animals roam freely and seem unalarmed by the two-legged visitors who watch them. On one occasion we watched two large storks methodically building their nest no more than ten feet from us.
Take exit 454 off of Interstate 80 in the eastern end of Omaha. This puts you on 13th St. Take 13th St. to the south for two blocks. Turn left at the sign for Rosenblatt Stadium/Henry Doorly Zoo. Continue east past the stadium (former home of the College World Series) and the road will turn north onto 10th St. Visitor parking can be seen to the right. The zoo's address is 3701 South 10th Street.
Also within the zoo is a remarkable aquarium featuring penguins, freshwater and saltwater fish and more, all set in interesting displays. A train goes throughout the zoo and you can get on and off at any station along the way.
- Pros:I think its fairly easy to get around in Omaha
- Cons:Summer humidity is high, winters are cold
- In a nutshell:Its an interesting city to explore.
We have eaten in two Mimis, one in Texas and this one in Nebraska. Both have excellent wait staffs who really know whats... more travel advice
This restaurant has been here since 1953, so you know they are doing something right. The food we had was first-rate and... more travel advice
Rich62's Related Pages
Omaha Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home of The Henry Doorly Zoo"
- "Omaha Nebraska"
- "OMAHA: Forget the Stereotypes and Visit"
- "Omaha, NE"
- "Omaha, Nebraska"
- "Surprisingly Nice Town"
- "Omaha... Excitement Building on the Plains"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Omaha
- Hotels in Omaha
- Transportation in Omaha
- Nightlife in Omaha
- Restaurants in Omaha
- Shopping in Omaha
- Warnings and Dangers in Omaha
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Omaha
- 42 Reviews
- 157 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Omaha?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Omaha
Photos in OmahaSee All Photos (157)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kearney Intro, 139 reviews, 399 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omaha Intro, 42 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lincoln Intro, 32 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nebraska Intro, 36 reviews, 98 photos
- Georgetown Intro, 27 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fredericksburg Intro, 19 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Collins Intro, 27 reviews, 80 photos
- Boston Intro, 19 reviews, 71 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 17 reviews, 71 photos
- Austin Intro, 19 reviews, 69 photos