"KEARNEY, NEBRASKA 68847" Top 5 Page for this destination Kearney by Rich62

Kearney Travel Guide: 155 reviews and 466 photos

THE UNIVERSITY

Kearney is home to the University of Nebraska at Kearney, or simply "UNK". If you love college sports, UNK has much to offer. As I write this, the UNK volleyball team is ranked # 1 in the nation among division 2 schools. Last year (2003) the men's basketball team was one of the top 8 teams in the nation and featured the division 2 national player of the year, Nick Branting. The wrestling team is presently ranked # 3 nationally. The football team has won seven in a row as of this writing. UNK has won the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference all-sports championship for several years in a row. The student athletes generally do very well in the classroom also.%x**

HARMON PARK

On the first day we ever spent in Kearney, many years ago, we had a picnic lunch in Harmon Park. We thought it was the most beautiful city park we had ever seen, and we have not changed our mind. It features a large rock garden, complete with flowing water. This was actually constructed by the WPA during the Great Depression. Also there are tennis courts, a softball field, lots of trees, a swimming pool and more. And yes, that is a lighthouse....in the middle of Nebraska. Don't laugh, because ever since it was built we have not had a single shipwreck around here!*

THE MUSEUM OF NEBRASKA ART

The official state-wide museum of Nebraska Art, known as "MONA", is located in Kearney. It is in the 2400 block of Central Avenue. Highway 30 goes by just to the north of it.

Inside the museum are ever-changing displays of art works that have some connection to Nebraska. There is also a very nice gift shop.

The photo is taken in the sculpture garden of MONA. The subject of this fine sculpture was a resident of Lincoln, Nebraska; the late Cliff Hillegass. Who is he, you ask? Well, did you ever use "Cliff's Notes" to get through a troublesome college course? Yep, this is the "Cliff" who founded Cliff's Notes.

Also, please check the Kearney "Travel Tips" found below.

• Pros:Friendly people, clean, modern surroundings, a slower pace of life. its hard to beat.
  • Cons:Its a long way to the ocean from here! (We are equadistant from Boston and San Francisco)
  • In a nutshell:just a really great place to live, or to visit
  • Last visit to Kearney: Jun 2011
  • Intro Updated Jun 21, 2011

• riorich55's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2012 at 5:55 PM

And it's your birthday today also. Surprised Basaic hasn't written a review here.

• Nov 24, 2008 at 9:30 PM

that was the hospital were i was born :)

• Oct 17, 2008 at 8:58 AM

Hi I am a small farmer in Liberty, Missouri, I would like to aquire a super large chicken or rooster can you lead me to where I might purchase one? Thank you!

• garridogal's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2008 at 7:48 AM

What a wonderful looking art museum!

• Cichlide's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2006 at 12:20 PM

Nice page, I will use your tips in the next 2 weeks. I'm working for Baldwin Filters in Belgium Europe and I will come to Kearney this Saturday to visit the main office. With a bit of luck we will bumb into each other :-)

• Feb 1, 2006 at 6:54 PM

Thanks! Greetings from Cape Town.

• caffeine_induced78's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2005 at 8:46 PM

If I was a student at UNK would I possibly get an email address that would be Caffeine_induced78@eloper.unk.edu?

• Packerman's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2005 at 8:17 AM

Your Kearney page clinched my desire to stop and check it out next week as I travel to Colorado on I-80. I was always interested as I passed below that museum and now you have convinced me to stop and maybe stay overnight. Very helpful page!!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2005 at 2:37 PM

Nice page on Kearney your 4th. July tip left me wondering - does every one pass through!! Good page

Rich62 Lives Here!

Rich62

“Love those small towns”

Badges & Stats in Kearney

Have you been to Kearney?

Latest Activity in Kearney