"KEARNEY, NEBRASKA 68847" Top 5 Page for this destination Kearney by Rich62
Kearney Travel Guide: 155 reviews and 466 photos
Kearney is home to the University of Nebraska at Kearney, or simply "UNK". If you love college sports, UNK has much to offer. As I write this, the UNK volleyball team is ranked # 1 in the nation among division 2 schools. Last year (2003) the men's basketball team was one of the top 8 teams in the nation and featured the division 2 national player of the year, Nick Branting. The wrestling team is presently ranked # 3 nationally. The football team has won seven in a row as of this writing. UNK has won the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference all-sports championship for several years in a row. The student athletes generally do very well in the classroom also.%x**
On the first day we ever spent in Kearney, many years ago, we had a picnic lunch in Harmon Park. We thought it was the most beautiful city park we had ever seen, and we have not changed our mind. It features a large rock garden, complete with flowing water. This was actually constructed by the WPA during the Great Depression. Also there are tennis courts, a softball field, lots of trees, a swimming pool and more. And yes, that is a lighthouse....in the middle of Nebraska. Don't laugh, because ever since it was built we have not had a single shipwreck around here!*
The official state-wide museum of Nebraska Art, known as "MONA", is located in Kearney. It is in the 2400 block of Central Avenue. Highway 30 goes by just to the north of it.
Inside the museum are ever-changing displays of art works that have some connection to Nebraska. There is also a very nice gift shop.
The photo is taken in the sculpture garden of MONA. The subject of this fine sculpture was a resident of Lincoln, Nebraska; the late Cliff Hillegass. Who is he, you ask? Well, did you ever use "Cliff's Notes" to get through a troublesome college course? Yep, this is the "Cliff" who founded Cliff's Notes.
Also, please check the Kearney "Travel Tips" found below.*
- Pros:Friendly people, clean, modern surroundings, a slower pace of life. its hard to beat.
- Cons:Its a long way to the ocean from here! (We are equadistant from Boston and San Francisco)
- In a nutshell:just a really great place to live, or to visit
If you are looking for a modern, bright, immaculately clean coffee shop, this is it. We make a combination of... more travel advice
A beautiful and historic park in the middle of town. Lots of shade trees and grass, picnic areas, tennis courts,... more travel advice
- See All TORNADO!
- See All Take in a movie
- See All THE CORVETTE SHOW
- See All Third World products
- See All VISIT THE AUDUBON CENTER at the ROWE...
Rich62's Related Pages
Kearney Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Kearney Page"
- "KEARNEY, NEBRASKA 68847"
- "Welcome to Kearney!"
- "View from the highway"
- "Mid-point of the Nation"
- "Calidris's Kearney Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kearney
- Hotels in Kearney
- Transportation in Kearney
- Nightlife in Kearney
- Restaurants in Kearney
- Shopping in Kearney
- Warnings and Dangers in Kearney
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kearney
- 139 Reviews
- 393 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Kearney?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kearney
- Commented on one of Basaic's Kearney travel pages
- Wrote a Review An unusual but excellent coffee shop in Kearney Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "An unusual but excellent coffee shop"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "You are right! The NCAA..."
- updated a Kearney Travel Page "KEARNEY, NEBRASKA 68847"
- Uploaded a Video to Kearney
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kearney Intro, 139 reviews, 399 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omaha Intro, 42 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lincoln Intro, 32 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nebraska Intro, 36 reviews, 98 photos
- Georgetown Intro, 27 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fredericksburg Intro, 19 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Collins Intro, 27 reviews, 80 photos
- Boston Intro, 19 reviews, 71 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 17 reviews, 71 photos
- Austin Intro, 19 reviews, 69 photos