"GRAND ISLAND, NEBRASKA" Grand Island by Rich62
Grand Island Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 54 photos
The original "grand island" was a 52-mile long sandbar in the middle of the Platte River, extending roughly from today's Grand Island westward to the Kearney area. Of course, spring floods long ago broke it up.
Grand Island, a town of about 41,000 people, can be found at the intersection of highway 30 and highway 281. It is about ten miles north of Interstate 80 as well.
By driving north on 281 through town, you will come to the main shopping areas of the city, including the Conestoga Mall pictured here.
In my opinion, Grand Island has never been thought of as a "college town." But that doesn't mean that there is no higher education available there. One opportunity is the Grand Island campus of Central Community College (the other campuses are in Kearney and Hastings.). One of our sons graduated from CCC and as a former educator myself, I can say that we were both favorably impressed with the education they offered.
A recent construction project has resulted in this attractive high-rise medical facility.
- Pros:LOTS OF RESTAURANTS AND SHOPPING
- In a nutshell:A BLUE COLLAR TOWN, THEY SAY, BUT PRETTY NICE
THE ST. FRANCIS MEDICAL CENTER is the name of the new hospital. more travel advice
Rich62's Related Pages
Grand Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "GRAND ISLAND, NEBRASKA"
- "Grand Island campground cabin"
- "~ Grand Island, Nebraska ~"
- "Basaic Grand Island Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Grand Island
- Hotels in Grand Island
- Restaurants in Grand Island
- Shopping in Grand Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Grand Island
- 18 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Grand Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Grand Island
Photos in Grand IslandSee All Photos (50)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kearney Intro, 139 reviews, 399 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omaha Intro, 42 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lincoln Intro, 32 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nebraska Intro, 36 reviews, 98 photos
- Georgetown Intro, 27 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fredericksburg Intro, 19 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Collins Intro, 27 reviews, 80 photos
- Boston Intro, 19 reviews, 71 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 17 reviews, 71 photos
- Austin Intro, 19 reviews, 69 photos