"Gothenburg, Nebraska" Gothenburg by Rich62

Gothenburg Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 27 photos

HOME OF THE SWEDES

Gothenburg, Nebraska was founded by Swedish immigrants and even today the high school teams are known as the "Swedes". My piano tuning business takes me to lots of small towns, and if someone told me that I had to live in a town of 4000 people or less, I might just choose Gothenburg. It is located along Interstate 80 and highway 30 about 30 miles east of North Platte.

CORN AND MORE CORN

A field of corn arises from the earth in early spring just outside of Gothenburg, Nebraska. Soon these stalks will stand five or six feet high. This is field corn, not sweet corn. It will not be eaten by humans, but by livestock, producing "corn-fed beef", the best beef in the world.

And yes, that is a hill in the background. Coloradoans are taught that Nebraska has no hills, so please do not show them this photo. ha ha

REMEMBER THE PIONEERS

South of town is a simple yet elegant marker asking us to remember those who settled this fertile land so long ago.

• Pros:CLEAN, PEACEFUL, FRIENDLY
  • Cons:THE PEOPLE OF GOTHENBURG ACTUALLY VOTED AGAINST WATER FLOURIDATION
  • In a nutshell:A VERY NICE TOWN
  • Last visit to Gothenburg: Apr 2010
  • Intro Updated Apr 27, 2010

• Henrik_rrb's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Great page with some lovely photos! I'm so happy you told me about this Gothenburg!

• Rich62's Profile Photo
      Mar 26, 2013 at 5:34 PM

I hope that you can come and visit in person some day!

• Henrik_rrb's Profile Photo
      Mar 27, 2013 at 8:13 AM

I would love to! Would be so interesting! Thanks again for a great page!

• Florida999's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2006 at 5:37 PM

We stopped at that Pony Express Station on the way through Nebraska, I thought it should have at least had a pony...my best memory of Gothenburg was some very good snowcones:)

• Rich62's Profile Photo
      Mar 26, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Actually they do have a nice horse-drawn carriage ride around the park during the warm seasons. Perhaps you just hit on the wrong day, sorry about that.

• Florida999's Profile Photo
      Jun 20, 2013 at 4:28 AM

It was in July, but no pony:) Not sure what day, it's been a while. But , I liked Nebraska most of all the mostly flat and dusty Plains States:)

Rich62 Visits Here Frequently!

Rich62

“Love those small towns”

Badges & Stats in Gothenburg

Have you been to Gothenburg?

Latest Activity in Gothenburg