"FUNK, NEBRASKA" Funk by Rich62
Funk Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 9 photos
Funk is a small village located along highway 6/34 in south-central Nebraska. It is 7 miles east of Holdrege, and about 25 miles southwest of Kearney. It probably has less that a hundred residents or so.
Funk's most famous citizen is a young man named Kyle Larson. Kyle played his college football as the Nebraska Cornhusker's punter, where he set several kicking records. Then in his rookie professional season (2004) he became the # 1 punter for the Cincinnati Bengals. The NFL named him the rookie punter of the year. 21 of his punts were downed within the 20 yard line of the opponent.
Kyle went to high school at Kearney High (Funk has no high school), where I taught. He is a humble and very decent young man who deserves all the success he can achieve.
After several successful years in the NFL, Kyle retired back in Nebraska and by all accounts is very happy to be farming once again.
Another Funk native, Julie Ellner, has become one of America's leading surgeons. She specializes in surgeries designed to alleviate extreme obesity. In fact, she was the first female surgeon in the country to perform a laparoscopic "stomach stapling" surgery. Dr. Ellner says that she knew she wanted to be a doctor from the time she was four years old.
- Pros:I have met some very nice people in this little town
- Cons:You have to leave town for many goods and services.
- In a nutshell:small-town life in a nutshell
THIS OUT-OF-THE-WAY restaurant is something of a legend around here. Give it a try. This is what "Rural Living" has to... more travel advice
Rich62's Related Pages
Funk Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Funk
- 3 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Funk?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Funk
Photos in FunkSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Kearney Intro, 139 reviews, 395 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omaha Intro, 42 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lincoln Intro, 31 reviews, 115 photos
- Georgetown Intro, 27 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nebraska Intro, 35 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fredericksburg Intro, 19 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Collins Intro, 27 reviews, 81 photos
- Boston Intro, 19 reviews, 71 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 17 reviews, 71 photos
- Austin Intro, 19 reviews, 69 photos