"Dannebrog, Nebraska" Dannebrog by Rich62
Dannebrog Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 21 photos
Dannebrog is the Danish capital of Nebraska. From Grand Island, go about 20 miles north on highway 281, then ten miles west on hwy. 58.
As you enter town on "Roger Welch Boulevard" you will see Harriet's Cafe on the north side of the road. If you stop for coffee, its on the honor system; just put your coins in the plate or jar, feel free to make change, they trust you.
At lunchtime you will have a nice meal, probably prepared by Harriet herself. She has been doing this for a long time. Sunday lunch is the best, though. Get there early because the line may stretch out the front door. Its a big Danish Smorgasbord, and you will not leave hungry.
2012 update: Harriet, bless her heart, has retired. Someone else has started a cafe there, and I understand the menu has, as one would expect, been changed. I'll bet its still a good place to eat.
Some of the information on this sign:
In 1871 a band of Danish immigrants founded the community and named it Dannebrog, which is the name for the red and white national flag of Denmark. Dannebrog's peak population was 426 people in 1920. Germans, Czechs, Poles and Swedes also settled in Dannebrog. In 1989 it was named "Danish Capital of Nebraska" by the state legislature.
When you drive into town you will be on the street named to honor its most famous resident. For years, Charles Kuralt of CBS News fame, made sure that Roger Welsch had a "Postcard from Nebraska" segment on the CBS Sunday Morning program. Many of those "postcards" about rural life were filmed in Dannebrog.
Their website is www.dannebrog.org
For more information:
call 308-226-2237 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pros:DELIGHTFUL, INTERESTING PEOPLE
- Cons:CAN'T THINK OF A BAD THING ABOUT DANNEBROG
- In a nutshell:IT WAS MADE FAMOUS BY ROGER WELCH'S "POSTCARDS FROM NEBRASKA" SEGMENTS ON THE CBS "SUNDAY MORNING" SHOW
HERE ARE SOME PHOTOS OF THINGS WE SAW. CLICK THE PHOTO TO SEE MORE.............. more travel advice
These photos simply show you what it looks like as you drive into town from the east. The second photo shows Harriet's... more travel advice
Rich62's Related Pages
Dannebrog Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Dannebrog
- 9 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Dannebrog?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dannebrog
Photos in DannebrogSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kearney Intro, 139 reviews, 399 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omaha Intro, 42 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lincoln Intro, 32 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nebraska Intro, 36 reviews, 98 photos
- Georgetown Intro, 27 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fredericksburg Intro, 19 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Collins Intro, 27 reviews, 80 photos
- Boston Intro, 19 reviews, 71 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 17 reviews, 71 photos
- Austin Intro, 19 reviews, 69 photos