"A LAND OF STRANGE BASKETBALL FANS?" Top 5 Page for this destination Hays by Rich62
Hays Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 110 photos
HERE ARE THE STUDENTS AT FT. HAYS STATE UNIVERSITY at a basketball game. They seem to be locked in another time, like maybe 1970. For example, despite current concerns over alcohol abuse on campuses, they have their pep band play "In heaven there is no beer/thats why we drink it here...." etc. Where we were sitting, there were grown women who jumped up to clap along each time it was played, as though it were some sort of Hays official anthem. sad.
Then the students and even some adults spent the whole of two games shredding newspapers and throwing the confetti in the air every time the least thing happened on the court, even a free throw or a time out! weird. The students seemed more concerned with yelling obscenities toward the visiting team and fans than in supporting their own team. Many wore obscene T-shirts to the game.
Apparently the administration of the school offers little or no guidance here.
THIS IS WHAT it looks like taking the main exit into Hays off of I-70 coming from the east.
This is probably exit #159, which would put you on hwy. 183. Most of Hays is to the south of the interstate.
I DON'T KNOW WHAT THIS IS. Probably either a church or one of those domes to store sand that the county spreads on roads when its icy.
Recently a Flickr friend emailed me to say that he thinks this might be a museum of natural history. Fossils and the like.
- Pros:THERE ARE SOME PLACES TO EAT THERE
- Cons:A COLLEGE WITH VERY POOR SPORTSMANSHIP
- In a nutshell:I DON'T CARE MUCH FOR IT
BY THE TIME A HAYS BASKETBALL GAME IS OVER THERE WILL BE millions of pieces of newspaper all over the gym. What a mess... more travel advice
Rich62's Related Pages
Hays Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fort Hays, Boot Hill, and the State University"
- "A LAND OF STRANGE BASKETBALL FANS?"
- "Hays, America"
- "Halfway between Kansas City and Denver"
- "An "All American town.""
- "jan58's Hays Page"
- "Hays, Kansas"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hays
- 2 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (146)
Have you been to Hays?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hays
Photos in HaysSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kearney Intro, 139 reviews, 399 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omaha Intro, 42 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lincoln Intro, 32 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nebraska Intro, 36 reviews, 98 photos
- Georgetown Intro, 27 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fredericksburg Intro, 19 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Collins Intro, 27 reviews, 80 photos
- Boston Intro, 19 reviews, 71 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 17 reviews, 71 photos
- Austin Intro, 19 reviews, 69 photos