"Where I live...." Sargans by loisl
Sargans Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 26 photos
Sargans was the first time mentioned in the Tello Testament of 765 as "Senegaune" and in an other document approx. 843 as "Senegaunis". The place must have been already early settled. The Roman mansion, which was excavated in the Malerva, witnesses from the Roman civilization.
In the 12. Century the counts of Werdenberg-Sargans founded the small town on the foot of the castle, which was protected in 1408 by a surrounding ringwall.
In the year 1803 Sargans was incorporated into the newly assigned canton Sankt Gallen.
The first parts of the castle had been built in the 12th century, and it had been completed over the following centuries.
Today the castle contains a museum and a restaurant.
Approx. 2000 years ago the Romans, possibly already the celtic people, discovered the ironcontaining rock at and in the Gonzen. Untill 1966 iron ore was digged out. A labyrinth of tunnels of approximately 90 km length had been built. 1966 the mine closed for economic reasons. Since 1983 a small part of the mine was made accessible to the public.
See my Tip for more information.
- Pros:Beautyfull mountain surrounding
- Cons:a bit rural maybe...
- In a nutshell:great alternative to wellknown touristplaces
Vineyard Way Sargans-Mels ******************************* Connoisseurs know that very special wines are produced in the... more travel advice
loisl's Related Pages
Sargans Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Where I live...."
- "Sargans - gateway to Liechtenstein"
- "Their Goose is Cooked!!!"
- "A few minutes in SARGANS."
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Sargans
- 12 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Sargans?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sargans
Photos in SargansSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Maienfeld Intro, 29 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liechtenstein Intro, 19 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Phuket Intro, 3 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vaduz Intro, 18 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Weimar Intro, 11 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gaschurn Intro, 14 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ascona Intro, 11 reviews, 22 photos
- Werdenberg Intro, 11 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dubai Intro, 10 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sargans Intro, 12 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue