"Liechtenstein, the pretty Principality" Top 5 Page for this destination Liechtenstein by loisl
Liechtenstein Travel Guide: 477 reviews and 1,327 photos
Approximately 34'000 inhabitants, 11 municipalities, 12.4 km by 24.6 km; no customs along the border to Switzerland - the Principality of Liechtenstein appears to slumber at the heart of Europe.
But you will be astonished what 160 square kilometers have to offer.
All vacation dreams come true in Liechtenstein. Athletes enjoy nature with bicycle and skating tours along the Rhine, hikes in the mountain area and paragliding over the Rhine valley.
But the Principality is also an inviting place to relax, dream, or simply be lazy. High above in the mountains, summits reveal unforgettable views. Down in the valley, the beauties of the landscape can be experienced on many walking tours.
The recreational offerings range from museum visits, whether to the Ski Museum, Postage Stamp Museum, or the Museum of Fine Arts with the collection of the Prince, to toboggan runs in the winter with a tasty fondue in the mountains afterwards. The cultural and culinary buffet provides Princely Moments in all its variations: city and castle festivals, international cultural events, the Wine Festival in downtown Vaduz, traditions (carnival, National Holiday), etc.
In the winter, the activities focus on the enchanting vacation destination of Malbun-Steg, truly a winter paradise for families. Sports and relaxation, recreation and fun can be found here at a healthy elevation of 1600 meters.
All of this makes Liechtenstein an ideal destination for vacation, excursions, and also conferences.
Discover Liechtenstein! On foot, by bicycle, on skis, or any other way. This is what's astonishing about the country: Everything takes place perfectly in a small area. This small size of the country is a huge and unbeatable advantage in this respect." (Liechtenstein Tourism)
approx. 34,000 inhabitants
Currency: Swiss Franc
Neighboring countries: Switzerland, Austria
Official language: German
System of State: constitutional hereditary monarchy on a democratic and parliamentary basis
If you want to know more about individual towns, check out my Vaduz or Balzers page.
In the heart of Europe, between Sitzerland and Austria
With an area of 160 sq. km/61,8 sq miles, Liechtenstein is the fourth smallest state in Europe. Despite its size, the country can look back on a very eventful history. It is a history of rapid development, from an agrarian country to a highly industrialized state – a history that has set the course for the future.
1342 Formation of the County of Vaduz
1396 The County of Vaduz becomes subject to the Emperor’s direct authority
1699 Prince Johann Adam Andreas purchases the lands of Schellenberg
1712 Prince Johann Adam Andreas purchases the County of Vaduz
1719 Liechtenstein becomes an independent principality under the Holy Roman Empire
1806 Sovereignty through membership of the Rhine Confederation
1815 Membership of the German Confederation
1852 Customs Treaty with Austria
1862 New constitution comes into force
1868 Abolishment of the army of Liechtenstein
1919 Abolishment of the Customs Treaty with Austria
1921 New constitution comes into force
1924 Customs Treaty with Switzerland, introduction of the Swiss Franc
1938 Princely Family takes up residence in the Castle of Vaduz
1950 Member of the International Court of Justice in the Hague
1975 Member of the CSCE (today OSCE)
1978 Member of the Council of Europe
1990 160th member of the UN
1991 Member of EFTA
1995 Accession to the European Economic Area (EEA)
1995 Accession to the European World Trade Organization (WTO)
More then half of the country is mountains, the perfect setting for hiking in summer or skiing in winter. Liechtenstein... more travel advice
Liechtenstein has about 40 Hotels from 1* up to 4*. Non of them is real big, you won't find any big chain hotels... more travel advice
loisl's Related Pages
Liechtenstein Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Liechtenstein: the Shangri La of Europe"
- "Liechtenstein, the pretty Principality"
- "Liechtenstein is a little Gem"
- "Guilty again of country collecting! Make that #54"
- "wee tiny ickle country"
- "EXPENSIVE LIECHTENSTEIN!"
- "LIECHTENSTEIN - Unique and Special"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Liechtenstein
- Hotels in Liechtenstein
- Transportation in Liechtenstein
- Nightlife in Liechtenstein
- Restaurants in Liechtenstein
- Shopping in Liechtenstein
- Warnings and Dangers in Liechtenstein
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Liechtenstein
- 37 Reviews
- 78 Photos
- 27 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Liechtenstein?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Liechtenstein
- Posted in Travel Liechtenstein Forum "Re: Books in Vaduz?"
- Uploaded a Video to Liechtenstein
- Commented on one of Dabs's Liechtenstein travel pages
- updated a Liechtenstein Travelogue "Christmas - NewYear vacation in Malbun"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Christmas - NewYear vacation in Malbun"
- Wrote a Review Hiking in Liechtenstein in Liechtenstein Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Maienfeld Intro, 29 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liechtenstein Intro, 19 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Phuket Intro, 3 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vaduz Intro, 18 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Weimar Intro, 11 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gaschurn Intro, 14 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ascona Intro, 11 reviews, 22 photos
- Werdenberg Intro, 11 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dubai Intro, 10 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sargans Intro, 12 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue