"Dogsledding in Kiruna" Top 5 Page for this destination Kiruna by loisl
Kiruna Travel Guide: 177 reviews and 355 photos
For 1 week we teamed, me and my 3 dogs...
For centuries, Northern people used their dogs to pull sledges. From this tradition came sled dog racing, believed to have started among native peoples of Northern Asia. Today, this worldwide sport includes teams of all sizes for both professional competition and family recreation.
K I R U N A
Kiruna is Sweden's most northerly municipality and its largest in area.
At 20,000 square kilometres, it is half as large as Switzerland. Once upon a time, Kiruna was listed in every geography book as the world's largest town in area. Now it has to be content with being the next largest, having been bested by an Australian counterpart. But still, if you collected all the people in the world inside Kiruna's borders, each would have four square metres to stand in. The whole municipality has 26,000 inhabitants, of whom 80% live in the town of Kiruna.
The city hill, Kebnekaise, is Sweden's highest mountain at 2,117 metres above sea level. From its peak, you can see nine percent of Sweden, including half a dozen other alpine tops of over 2,000 metres.
Several tour operators (see details in "Must See Activity Tips") are offering dogsled tours, starting from 1 day upto 1 week or longer.
You do not need any previous expirience, but you should like animals and not been afraid of dogs.
Normaly you will get 3..4 dogs and your own sled, that's about the maximum number of husky's you can handle.
Forget for your one team the impressive picture you know from the Alaskan Iditarod race, where pro's are starting with 16 dogs, leave it to the pro's.
- Pros:nature.....pure nature....
- Cons:a bit expensive.
- In a nutshell:but a great experience
Other VTer's mentioned little nightlive in Kiruna. ??? Yes, they are right! ! ! No, they are wrong! ! ! There is... more travel advice
KIRUNA IRON ORE MINE With an ore body 4km long, 80m thick and reaching a depth of 2km, LKAB’s Kiruna is the world’s... more travel advice
loisl's Related Pages
Kiruna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The City with Both Darkness and Light"
- "The Northest town of Sweden"
- "Dogsledding in Kiruna"
- "Above the Arctic Circle"
- "On top of Sweden"
- "Giron - mines, space and fun"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kiruna
- Hotels in Kiruna
- Transportation in Kiruna
- Nightlife in Kiruna
- Restaurants in Kiruna
- Shopping in Kiruna
- Warnings and Dangers in Kiruna
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Kiruna
- 9 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Kiruna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kiruna
Top 10 Pages
- Maienfeld Intro, 29 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liechtenstein Intro, 19 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Phuket Intro, 3 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vaduz Intro, 18 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Weimar Intro, 11 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gaschurn Intro, 14 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ascona Intro, 11 reviews, 22 photos
- Werdenberg Intro, 11 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dubai Intro, 10 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sargans Intro, 12 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Kiruna hotel reviews
- Yellow House
- 30 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Hotel Arctic Eden
- 64 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 13, 2013
- Hotell Vinterpalatset
- 49 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- Scandic Ferrum Kiruna
- 61 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 27, 2013
- Ditt Hotell Jaernvaegshotellet
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 1, 2012