Beijing Transportation Tips by vic&michael
Beijing Transportation: 459 reviews and 444 photos
Catching the Subway in Beijing is very easy. The subway route is very simple to understand. Catch it to the station nearest your destination and then catch a taxi or walk to your destination. That's a cheap way to do transport.
There is English next to the Chinese signs, and also there is an English announcement on the subway.
The subway is cheap, 3 RMB. It comes very regularly. I've had to wait only about 5 mins for each train.
There is no air con, so be ready to sweat in Summer!
Every time I got into a taxi in Beijing, I would sigh with relief. It was cool (air con!), quiet (the roads are very noisy!) and fast (no walk to the train stn/bus stop!). And cheap too, compared with other countries.
Remember to always tell the taxi drivers to use their meter!
I only used the taxis with black and green, or black and orange colors. They were the nicest. We caught a red taxi with spray-on black signs, to the airport, and it was terribly hot and stuffy, and smelled like fumes.
It's important to know the name of where you are going and how to say it in Chinese. Not all taxi drivers know how to read Chinese, so not always will your Chinese characters come in handy. Sometimes they may not be from Beijing, it's handy if you have a map and have an idea of where you are going.
Type: Car/Motor Home
The Roads are huge! 5 lanes each way!
There were not as many people biking around Beijing as I thought there would have been. I guess now it's the cool thing to have a car. But from the bike lanes, I know that biking used to be the popular thing to do! The bike lanes are as big as a road! So, you will be rather safe biking! Just look out for the cars as they don't really pay much attention to 'bike lane' and 'car lane' differences!
I didn't bike in Beijing, just because I am very scared of biking...
but I met many travellers who did bike, and they had a really fun time, and explored many places that you would not find if you were on a bus/taxi/metro. They said it was really easy and you have to be alert, but the lanes are so huge, that it's not much problem. They hired the bikes from the hostel for a cheap price.
The bus is very cheap only 1 RMB!
But it has no air-con and can be stuck for a long time in traffic. You'll also be lucky to get a seat.
However, if you are not in a rush, or if it is early in the morning (not crowded then), you should take the bus, it gives you a good look around the city, and also you get to experience bus driver's road rage, very interesting.
Anyway, there is no air con in the metro either.
The buses travel all around Beijing.
Bus 22 to TIan'anMen Square & Xi Dan Shopping District.
More Reviews (24)
- See All 'Rain' - a treehouse bar!
- See All Xidan Shopping Street
- Bargain Hard in the Markets, not so much...
- See All The Great Wall of China.
- See All English Menus!
vic&michael's Related Pages
Beijing Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Northern Capital"
- "Beijing - Imperial Peking"
- "My wonderful Beijing"
- "Beijing: from the Forbidden City to the Great Wall"
- "Beijing - The Northern Capital"
- "Beijing (北京)"
- "Beijing----gives you much more than you expected!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Beijing
- Hotels in Beijing
- Transportation in Beijing
- Nightlife in Beijing
- Restaurants in Beijing
- Shopping in Beijing
- Warnings and Dangers in Beijing
- See All...
Explore the World
- Banjar Hotels
- Whetstone Hotels
- La Pineda Hotels
- Depoe Bay Hotels
- Moeciu de Sus
- Solbiate Olona
- Saffron Walden
Badges & Stats in Beijing
- 28 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Beijing?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Beijing
Photos in BeijingSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Kyoto Intro, 29 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 28 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Osaka Intro, 8 reviews, 28 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nara Intro, 5 reviews, 28 photos, 4 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 10 reviews, 19 photos
- Christchurch Intro, 8 reviews, 20 photos
- Phuket Intro, 4 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hiroshima Intro, 6 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Malapascua Island Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
- Nagano Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (1)
Latest Beijing hotel reviews
- Times Holiday Hotel Beijing
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 11, 2013
- Beijing Hepingli Hotel
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 15, 2010
- Premier Beijing
- 37 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 13, 2012
- Taiwan Hotel Beijing
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 25, 2011
- Yu Yang Hotel
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 17, 2013
- Feiying Binguan Beijing
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 21, 2008
- Guangxi Plaza
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Holiday Inn Temple Of Heaven
- 95 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 16, 2013
- Beijing River View Hotel
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2012
- 162 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 2, 2013
- Beijing Heyuan International Youth Hostel
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 17, 2013
- Kempinski Hotel Beijing Lufthansa Center
- 114 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 4, 2013
- Sino Swiss Beijing Airport Hotel
- 91 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 9, 2013
- Qianyuan International Business Hotel
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 22, 2012
- Forbidden City- 384 Reviews, 765 Photos
- Great Wall - Mutianyu- 74 Reviews, 204 Photos
- Tiananmen Square- 279 Reviews, 478 Photos
- Great Wall- 141 Reviews, 212 Photos
- Temple of Heaven- 163 Reviews, 324 Photos
- Hutongs - Bell and Drum Towers- 95 Reviews, 199 Photos
- Summer Palace- 146 Reviews, 266 Photos
- Wangfujing Street- 43 Reviews, 80 Photos
- Lama Temple - Yonghegong- 60 Reviews, 130 Photos
- Great Wall - Badaling- 81 Reviews, 195 Photos
See All Beijing Things to Do