"CORON ISLAND" Coron Island by Rastarigo

Coron Island Travel Guide: 102 reviews and 457 photos

Paradise Comes at a Price

Be warned. Be vigilant. Be alarmed. Coron is turning into a money hungry pig utterly disgusting cash cow of a destination. the way these people declare ownership over the lakes, beaches, hot springs, islands etc. in the area and collect entrance fees is despicable. they are so greedy 10 or 20 pesos per head will not make them happy that they have to shamelessly charge as high as 150 pesos (cayangan lake), to 100 pesos (banol beach, maquinit hot spring, siete pecados) to 75 pesos (barracuda lake). no more island is free (malcapuya- 100, banana- 150, north cay- 200, dibutonay- 100) (as if they built the sites using their money and they had to regain their investment by turning to patrons). the list of burden is never ending. hello? are you disneyland? are you IMAX theater? do you offer deluxe amenities and high-end service? it appears you don't welcome tourists and a subtle way of discouraging them from coming is to scare them off with your ridiculous entrance fees. why don't you close shop instead, enjoy your beach, your lake, your hot spring they are all yours. for god's sake they are god's gift to mankind for them to enjoy. gah, i have never been to a place as greedy as coron. so gone are the days when you can just show up any time of the day, without the threat of entrance booths that block the access to the site. it won't be long before CYC beach, black island and malaroyroy island will follow suit. why has the local goverment of coron remained mum, undisturbed and insensitive about this abominable practice? paging Arroyo. paging UNESCO. paging world tourism organization. you should come down and arrest the vultures to stop this abuse. it's not funny anymore. i'm seething with jealousy because for zero capital, they seem to profit a lot. i'm mad as hell because they are all evil!!!

Crowned Jewel of Palawan

I have never seen the entire Coron Island but it is a promise of unique beauty. Having said that, Coron Island is a shoo-in for my top 10 islands in the Philippines. The island is the first Palawan island I saw. What a dramatic entrance to the portals of Palawan. The island reminds me of a scene in 'The Beach' where Richard prefers to gauge the distance to the rocky island afar in miles not kilometers. Eversince I was a child I dreamt of going to Palawan and that dream was fulfilled at the age of 22. We hope. We dream. But we never believe it's gonna happen. Life is indeed a journey. We don't belong to this world. We are transients. All we could do when we were a child is to dream. We grow up. We reach a certain point in our lives where freedom is free. That is when we possess the means... to travel and discover the things we shouldn't miss while on earth. Going to Palawan on August 2001 with a friend is the first knockout trip I did after college, a commencement of my traveling passion. This trip tells me that the world is so vast, so beautiful... This trip tells me that my life on earth starts to make a major turning point, that I'm starting to realize my childhood dreams, that I'm old enough to be on my own, that I have now the capacity to take my mortal self to wherever I wanna take it.
We arrived at Coron Pier early in the morning (Coron Pier is in Busuanga Island just across Coron Island). It was raining ominously. Coron looks hideous due to its black marble cliffs but brims with life with the green foliage creeping precariously on the rocks. Staring at the island from a distance gives me hope of finding a beach hidden in those black cliffs. We boarded on an outrigger boat as soon as the rain stopped. Coron zooms in the distance. It slowly unveils the ragged and jagged features of the island as we get closer to it. The boat maneuvers to enter through an opening and in a while we were enclosed by the towering rocky outcrops rising like mammoths guarding a clear and calm lagoon. This is paradise. This place partly fulfills my quest for paradise. An uphill and downhill climb will reveal another beautiful world down there. Whatever it is it's for you to find out.

March 25, 2012

Today is the 4th yr anniversary since my last trip to Coron. I'm dying to go back. Except for the greedy entrance fees, it is still paradise. How I miss snorkeling in Siete Pecados, it should more impressive than ever. I can swim in Kayangan lake from morning till dusk without getting bored, first the water is not salty and just the right temperature, second, the water is crystal-clear bluish greenish color, third, the serenity of the place esp if there's no other group is the best. The islands of Malcapuya and Banana (Dicalubuan) are gorgeous. I like the therapeutic dip in Maquinit hotspring. The lagoons hidden from the sea are pristine. I can sit on a boat and just watch the vertical limestone cliffs of Coron Island. They're amazing. That is why I am a fan of Phi Phi and El Nido because of this feature. Oh, and I sorely miss Calauit island too, I had experienced one of those magical moments as we were standing next to a dozen giraffes in the wilderness and herds of zebras were a cool spectacle. One of the most enchanting islands- Black island is my refuge! There's more islands to see and explore and I have not fulfilled yet a long time obsession- to circumnavigate Coron island. No wonder a desire to live here sprung during this trip. Buy a piece of land and establish a bolt-hole. I worship Coron. God is awesome.

I really hope they institute some improvements in how they collect the entrance fees. I suggest we pay a one-time all inclusive payment to all the islands and sites of interest. Are they crazy that we should brandish cash in the middle of rock outcroppings?

• Pros:enchanting, majestic, surreal
  • Cons:hypnotic beauty i don't wanna leave
  • Last visit to Coron Island: Mar 2008
  • Intro Updated Mar 24, 2012

• heydelin's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Coron is the most amazing place I've been to so far. Very nice page!

• davidjo's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2013 at 7:30 AM

got stung by a jellyfish off the beach at coron, boy did it hurt!

• Jun 29, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Helo anyone coming to coron palawan on July 3? we can group orselves to get cheaper rates.

• elhombre30's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2011 at 7:37 PM

I like this post about entrance fees!

• paolodecastro's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2011 at 5:51 PM

i like to go here......i hope i can still do this next year...:) hahahaa...theres still an asian spirit airline when you went here....

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2011 at 1:52 AM

oh, wow, this is an island of unique beauty!! now I'm dying to see it one day and the itinerary on your Busuanga Island will be of a great help. so sad that Coron came into hands of greedy owners, foreigners, I guess?

• Mar 4, 2009 at 5:30 AM

great photos!!!

• asiantraveler's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2008 at 7:17 PM

the pictures doesnt give justice to the real beauty of the place...anyway lets keep it secret

• shintarojon's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2006 at 6:24 AM

ara! mada mada lathalain ga kaite arunjanai..tips ga nai no ni....

Rastarigo

“I'm already there”

Badges & Stats in Coron Island

Have you been to Coron Island?

Latest Activity in Coron Island