"Helicopter Island" Dilumacad Island by Rastarigo

Dilumacad Island Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 5 photos

Real Name: Dilumacad Island

Dilumacad, if minced in English , means 'not walking' so the island has to swim or fly. That explains why the island is a picture of a helicopter half-submerged, traversing in both air and water. This island is romantic. The sand is not white but soft and sugary with a broad backyard full of vegetation. The sea fronting the beach is incredibly crystal-clear blue. One thing that puzzles me the most is the fickle shape of the beach. I was bothered the second time I set foot on this island because the beach has metamorphosed into something that is totally different from the last beach I saw. For a while, I thought I mistook the island for Helicopter. Out of shock I approached the boatman to let him shed some light into my boggled mind. The beach changes with the tide, he quips. Ah I see.

So close yet not too far

Helicopter Island is an easy fave for beach camping. It's a short jaunt from El Nido town passing through Cadlao Island to the right, a colossal island palisade that shields you from strong currents as you paddle your way out to Helicopter. Too near from the town so you could easily transport the necessities of island camping. But once you lay your towel on its sugary beach, a Robinson Crusoe feeling consumes you. You are actually facing the town but not a vestige of a thriving town is visible from Helicopter as it is eclipsed by the towering limestone walls. A sheer feeling of being marooned in a deserted island but consoled by the fact that you are just too close to mortal civilization.

Kids at Work

My boatman tagged along with him his two young sons. These kids have learned to earn a living at such a young age but they took it more of fun than work because when it's snorkeling time they would put on their goggles and join with their guests drifting in the waters. The father maneuvers, the sons anchor. When the boat approaches the island, these lowly kids would prepare the rope, tie it around the protruding wood at the edge of the boat and then just before the boat hits the ground, they would hurl the rope away towards the beach and hook it anywhere to keep the boat still. Their father would yell at them once they shirk their duties or bungle their jobs..for instance when our boat almost hit a jutting rock. You can't blame the child. He's too weak to fight back the fierce current dragging our boat towards the rock. This child is gonna be a great boatman someday. He's learning his lessons now.
Now it's time to wallow on Helicopter's soft butter-like sand. The kids know they worked hard so they deserve a hard play too. What a fantastic beach. I can't help but join the kids slosh up with the waves and run wild on the beach.

• Last visit to Dilumacad Island: May 2002
  • Intro Updated Mar 24, 2009

• shintarojon's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2007 at 8:15 AM

punta ka sa youtube...yosakoi soran bushi - shintarojon practice

• laqjaw's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2007 at 2:53 AM

I've been wishing to go to El Nido is to see Miniloc island, I never thought there are other beautiful islands nearby. Thanks for the tips. Your literary piece btw is worth reading :)

Rastarigo

“I'm already there”

Badges & Stats in Dilumacad Island

Have you been to Dilumacad Island?

Latest Activity in Dilumacad Island