"Thresher Sharks & The Beach" Top 5 Page for this destination Malapascua Island by Rastarigo

Malapascua Island Travel Guide: 123 reviews and 385 photos

My New Favorite Island

i woke up to theo's calling at 5am. i quickly rose from the bamboo bench my humble bed for the night and checked on the alarm clock only to find out it's not working. the hand is stuck at 2am. bummer. "i really appreciate that. how did you know i have to wake up this early?" "i knew you're gonna dive this early today so i woke you up. i'm used to waking up this early though. i'm off to the beach now to jog". see the long journey has drained so much of our energy, we couldn't be bothered to dine out last night with the rain pouring and wind blowing hard outside so we just had to content ourselves with what we brought from manila like chocolates, biscuits and junk foods. it was already cold the electric fan had to be turned off and everyone hit the sack before long. i wore my socks and covered myself from head to toe using improvised blankets. i woke up once and when i checked on the alarm clock, it was still 2am so i slept again.
i could have missed the early morning dive had nobody nudged me out of bed. it's either i'm going to sleep my ass off till 6:30 (the usual time i wake up every morning for work) or wake up ahead of the alarm clock which i set at 5am. although we slept as early as 9 last night, waking up at 5am is still a tough job. like everyone in the group, im knackered to the bone from enduring an overnight bus that lasted 3 hrs sitting upright when we should have been lying on bed at that hour of the day. to make it worse, i hardly have enough sleep (3 hrs. only to be exact) the night before that, ugh excitement is killing me. i finally fell asleep when the bus arrived in maya at 4 in the morning. i can hear the wind and drizzle outside the bus which set the mood for catching up on our sleep amidst the darkness of sleeping maya. where did i sleep? on the bus seat, my body tossed over two seats, the upper half on where i was seated all the away from cebu to maya and the lower half stretched to the opposite seat.
miss out on the dive? not really. i expect someone would barge into my room if im still non-existent. i expect someone would go berserk with me missing in action. like emie. we're both excited about this dive- a chance to see thresher sharks. the one we used to watch in youtube will finally come alive right before our very eyes. as theo readies for the morning jog,
(continued on my Bounty Beach travelogue)

• Last visit to Malapascua Island: Aug 2007
  • Intro Updated Oct 18, 2007

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2008 at 6:16 AM

Enjoy reading about your meeting with the thresher shark! What a beautiful pictures of underwater world! Absolutely loved the mandarin fish :) Gato Island sounds like a great experience as well!

• jgemini65's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2008 at 6:58 PM

Beautiful! I think I have found my next destination!

• moonlighting's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2008 at 9:29 PM

Safe ba yung madaling araw na byahe ng Ceres? I might take the same trip 1 am. Sankayo nag-antay sa Maya kung 9:30 pa yung byahe ng boat?

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2008 at 3:52 AM

Stunning dive pictures. What a beautiful island. Cheers from Penang, SL :)

• limledi's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2008 at 4:43 PM

Hello. Please give me contact no. of Dano Beach Resort in Malapascua. What is the room no. you stayed in Dano? Thanks.

• matt10gonzalez's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2007 at 10:27 PM

I think I'm going to dive with Dan's! Wow..haha! Looks like I'm going to need to save some money to do it! (But $30 is cheaper than the Red Sea dives in Egypt!)

• muddybok's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2007 at 4:29 AM

You missed the mandarin fishes? ah!!! Very well written, i like your thresher encounter.

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2007 at 5:29 AM

Very nice start to the page, will def be back ;-)

• Mara_2's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2007 at 3:44 AM

Excellent page about Malapascua!!! I will go there at the end of September and I can hardly wait to go! Please add more tips! I appreciated very much the photo with GingGing's prices! :D

Rastarigo

“I'm already there”

Badges & Stats in Malapascua Island

Have you been to Malapascua Island?

Photos in Malapascua Island