"Sadness in Phnom Penh" Phnom Penh by Rastarigo

Phnom Penh Travel Guide: 1,500 reviews and 3,942 photos

The Journey

It's a loooong trip from Bangkok to Phnom Pehn, worth 1,200THB. Left Bangkok, Thailand at 8AM and reached Phnom Penh after 15 hrs. We boarded a van at Khao San Road, reached Aranyaprathet border around lunch time, went through the immigration procedures and voila I'm in Cambodia! Changed transport at Poipet border. The bus left Poipet at 3PM and stopped at Battambang (6PM) and Pursat (9PM) before arriving Phnom Pehn (11PM).
Stayed at Nomads hostel, which we pre-booked online at Tigerairways website.

Highlights

*Tuol Sleng S21 Genocide Museum- a very sad day in Phnom Penh. This place is a reminder of a grim past under Pol Pot regime. Pictures of cadaver, actual tools used for torture, pile of skulls of unfortunate victims, abandoned rooms, the faces of children victims, it's just shocking how can humans do this to humans. Moving from room to room, it's just creepy knowing how terrible things had been... that even prisoners would want to commit suicide than go through the ordeal. Barbed wires are in place because prisoners would choose to jump off the building and receive instantaneous death than having to deal with excruciating pain of having their nails pulled out, or throats slit, or hanged upside down with the face dipped in filthy water. Cutthroat ruthless regime!
*My first fish spa! My feet must be dirtier than garbage, the fishes swarmed my feet as soon as I dipped it lol. I was tickled and got used to little mouths biting on my skin for a taste of my dead skin cells lol. Not bad for 3USD (30mins) with free bottled drink of your choice.
*We're supposed to be picked up from our hostel at 6:30AM but nobody came and it's 15 mins only left before the bus leaves for Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam at 7AM. We hailed a tuktuk and boarded. One block away and suddenly I realized my knapsack that contains my passport and money is not with me. I stopped the tuktuk driver and ordered him to pull back. Thanks Lord, the little bag that is my life is still there. Fuming Shintarojon complained upon arriving at the terminal and the desk lady reasoned the pickup went to a different hostel lol. Issues like this come unexpectedly in any travel but I didn't want to be bothered or stressed out. I just want to enjoy the day and look forward to going to Vietnam.

Rastarigo and Shintarojon

• Last visit to Phnom Penh: Dec 2011
  • Intro Updated Jan 28, 2012

Comments

Rastarigo

“I'm already there”

Badges & Stats in Phnom Penh

Have you been to Phnom Penh?

Latest Activity in Phnom Penh