"XX century city" Ciudad Obregón by jorgejuansanchez
Ciudad Obregón Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 10 photos
I expected Ciudad Obregón city to be an old colonial town, founded by the Spaniards, since Obregón is a common Spanish family name.
But no, when I reached Ciudad Obregon, a city of about 45.000 inhabitants, I did not see old Spanish churches or haciendas, but a new city with a modern cathedral and a modern urban design, it rather looked a typical US city.
Furthermore, it was founded at the beginning of the XX century, when it was constructed the railway, and named Obregón in honor to a former Mexican President and revolutionary (Álvaro Obregón). So, no Spanish history related to it.
But after visiting the downtown I distinguished in the central square a restaurant with decoration motives of Don Quijote and Sancho Panza. I saw that the menu of the day was not expensive, so I entered to have lunch, since I was hungry.
Inside, I made good friendship with its owner, a very cultivated person, who had been with his wife in Spain, especially in Sevilla, Madrid and Toledo, and was in love with the famous Miguel de Cervantes literature masterwork.
(One year later later I crossed the whole of Sonora when I took a bus from Mexicali to Mexico DF, but at that time I just went through the state without stopping more than half an hour or so in Hermosillo bus station, when the bus took new passengers).
From Ciudad Obregón I took a bus to Los Mochis and then to Topolobampo, to board a ferry to Baja California.
jorgejuansanchez's Related Pages
Ciudad Obregón Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Ciudad Obregón
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (144)
Have you been to Ciudad Obregón?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ciudad Obregón
Top 10 Pages
- Blagoveshchensk Intro, 250 reviews, 517 photos, 8 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 102 reviews, 72 photos
- Madrid Intro, 43 reviews, 88 photos, 4 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 40 reviews, 80 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 28 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ulaanbaatar Intro, 29 reviews, 51 photos
- Santiago Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 47 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nalanda Intro, 21 reviews, 49 photos
- Russia Intro, 24 reviews, 43 photos, 3 travelogues