"XX century city" Ciudad Obregón by jorgejuansanchez

Ciudad Obregón Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 10 photos

I expected Ciudad Obregón city to be an old colonial town, founded by the Spaniards, since Obregón is a common Spanish family name.
But no, when I reached Ciudad Obregon, a city of about 45.000 inhabitants, I did not see old Spanish churches or haciendas, but a new city with a modern cathedral and a modern urban design, it rather looked a typical US city.
Furthermore, it was founded at the beginning of the XX century, when it was constructed the railway, and named Obregón in honor to a former Mexican President and revolutionary (Álvaro Obregón). So, no Spanish history related to it.

But after visiting the downtown I distinguished in the central square a restaurant with decoration motives of Don Quijote and Sancho Panza. I saw that the menu of the day was not expensive, so I entered to have lunch, since I was hungry.
Inside, I made good friendship with its owner, a very cultivated person, who had been with his wife in Spain, especially in Sevilla, Madrid and Toledo, and was in love with the famous Miguel de Cervantes literature masterwork.

(One year later later I crossed the whole of Sonora when I took a bus from Mexicali to Mexico DF, but at that time I just went through the state without stopping more than half an hour or so in Hermosillo bus station, when the bus took new passengers).
From Ciudad Obregón I took a bus to Los Mochis and then to Topolobampo, to board a ferry to Baja California.

• Last visit to Ciudad Obregón: May 2008
  • Intro Updated Nov 24, 2011

Comments

jorgejuansanchez

“Qian li zhi xing, shi yu zu xia (Lao Tse proverb)”

Badges & Stats in Ciudad Obregón

Have you been to Ciudad Obregón?

Latest Activity in Ciudad Obregón