"Three kings in French territory" Wallis and Futuna by jorgejuansanchez

Wallis and Futuna Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 17 photos

It is expensive but it is worth to visit Wallis island. People are quiet and like the foreigners.

People are very religious. Do not miss the mass service. Furthermore, churches are lovely and a tourist attraction.
I happened to be on Sunday in Wallis, and being Catholic went to the cathedral for the Mass service. Sitting in a privileged wooden seat was the King of Wallis. In Futuna there are two more kings.

I flew to Wallis from Nadi, in Fiji. I would remain 3 nights in that island, and two times I was invited to drink kava , or sakau, with the locals.

I made friendship with a Wallisian, and he showed me the archeological ruins, where cruel people from Tongo erected a citadel and ate the Wallis people, since they were cannibals.

I walked around the island, but the local people did not allow it and often they offered me rides. Sometimes I refused but seeing that their generosity was genuine I finished up accepting their rides and even lunches, because very rarely Wallis is visited by foreigners and they were wondering who I was, from which country, and wanted to make friendship with me.

I slept during three nights besides the catholic cathedral, an impressive building, like a fortress. Just in front of the cathedral there is a house where people use to gather to discuss matters, and is left open during the night. I was told that when people from Futuna island had to wait for the plane to New Caledonia, for instance, they all sleep in that house, which was constructed for that purpose, to accommodate travelers who can't afford a hotel (hotels are very expensive in Wallis).

The fourth day, after having being invited to eat pig, I walked to the airport and flew back to Nadi.

Churches are wonderful in Wallis.

I made frienship with a wallisian, and he showed me the archeological ruins, where cruel people from Tonga erected a citadel and ate the Wallis people, since they were canibals.

• Last visit to Wallis and Futuna: Mar 2012
  • Intro Updated Jun 12, 2014

• Odiseya's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2014 at 6:19 AM

Interesting! I never heard about this country! Impressive travel experience!

jorgejuansanchez Visits Here Frequently!

jorgejuansanchez

“Memento mori”

Badges & Stats in Wallis and Futuna

Have you been to Wallis and Futuna?

Latest Activity in Wallis and Futuna