"The island of the palagi" American Samoa by jorgejuansanchez
American Samoa Travel Guide: 75 reviews and 101 photos
I thought that American Samoa was like Hawaii or Guam: north american citizens everywhere, english spoken, hamburgers and coca colas in the fast food restaurants, etc. But I was completely wrong. Apart from the currency, the US dollar, nothing else reminded me the USA. The men wore lava-lava, they spoke samoan language (although everybody could understand english), and the food was typical polynesian. I felt a palagi (foreigner), as people called me.
Pago Pago is a nice town situated in a bay with a fiord, and the main island, Tutuila, has waterfalls and some historical places, such as Tula, from where the old Polynesian embarked to discover other Pacific islands, such as the Marquesas, in French Polynesia. It is also worth a visit Aasu and its monument to La Perouse, the french explorer of the XVIII century who had a battle with the natives losing 12 men (the samoans lose 40 men). Some time later La Perouse and his men lose their lives in the Solomon.
My last day in Pago Pago I took a boat to Apia, in Western Samoa.
jorgejuansanchez's Related Pages
American Samoa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "American Samoa, from the heart of Polynesia"
- "American Samoa"
- "Matai_Palagi's new Samoa page"
- "crazymeg's Samoa Page"
- "dreamworld in Samoa"
- "zyppa's Samoa Page"
- "Juvob's new Samoa Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in American Samoa
- Hotels in American Samoa
- Transportation in American Samoa
- Nightlife in American Samoa
- Restaurants in American Samoa
- Shopping in American Samoa
- Warnings and Dangers in American Samoa
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in American Samoa
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to American Samoa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in American Samoa
Top 10 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 72 reviews, 2 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 55 reviews, 2 photos
- Portugal Intro, 38 reviews, 3 photos
- Madrid Intro, 22 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Castilla y León Intro, 24 reviews, 1 photo
- Catalunya Intro, 21 reviews, 3 photos
- India Intro, 19 reviews, 2 photos
- Russia Intro, 14 reviews, 3 photos
- Santiago de Compostela Intro, 11 reviews, 4 photos
- Chechenskaya Respublika Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue