"Ras Musandam" Muhafazat Musandam by jorgejuansanchez

Muhafazat Musandam Travel Guide: 55 reviews and 205 photos

The border between Ras al Khaymah and Ras Musandam was a complete chaos.
It was Ramadan times and that day it seemed to me that half the population of the Seven Emirates had agreed to visit Ras Musandam.
I waited for about two hours at the border to get the documents and exit stamp, and then two more hours to pay for my Omanis visa (too expensive) in Ras Musandam.
Once inside, and since there was no bus service to travel into Ras Musandam, I had to hitchhike, and a few minutes later, thanks to the kindness of a couple of foreigners (two expatriates from England working in Abu Dhabi), I got a ride to Bukha, where I visited its fortress and the country side. The English continued all the way to Khassab.
There was nobody in the streets and everything was closed in Bukha. There was no food, no drinks, and no cafeterias. I had to knock in the houses and ask for mineral water. ?Maya, maya? (water, in Arabic) I begged, and people gave me with generosity several bottles of mineral water, and even liquid yogurts. But I did not ask for food, what I considered improper because I wanted to observe Ramadan, like everybody else.
Between Bukha and the border with Al Fujairah I found a nice place with dhows, or traditional fishing boats, and resolved to spend the night there. I had only bottles of water for dinner, but that was enough. It was so hot, even in the night that I did not feel like eating anything.
I slept in that small bay beneath a kind of covered roundabout with comfortable wooden benches, facing the Strait of Hormuz, and I felt very happy sensing that I was in a special geographical part of our planet, with so much history.
It was my intention to cross the Peninsula and enter Emirates through Al Fujairah emirate, but I was told at the border that it was forbidden to the tourists. It seems that only UAE nationals can cross that border if they have a land rover, owing to the rude roads, so I did not try.
The next day I returned on foot to the border with Ras al Khaymah.

• Last visit to Muhafazat Musandam: Nov 2010
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

Comments

jorgejuansanchez

“Memento mori”

Badges & Stats in Muhafazat Musandam

Have you been to Muhafazat Musandam?

Latest Activity in Muhafazat Musandam