VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

"Problems when crossing the border" Ajaria [provisional] by jorgejuansanchez

Ajaria [provisional] Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 2 photos

After I visited Abkhazia I went back to Russia (there is not official transport communication between Abkhazia and Ajaria or Georgia), boarded a ferry in Sochi to Trabzon and then entered Georgia.
That was a very serious mistake.
At the border the Georgians authorities saw in my passport the stamp Adler, when I entered Abkhazia overland. Then they discovered that I had been in Abkhazia, illegally according to them.
I was sent to jail in Batumi during 3 days, without food, and until I had not paid a “fine” of 2000 euro through a negotiator that I was sent to the jail, I was not released (after a fictitious trial in a tribunal).
After my release the authorities thought that I wanted go back to Spain and forget about Ajaria and Georgia, but I asked an entry stamp in my passport (Spanish do not need visa to visit Georgia). They were surprised and granted me a 90 days visitor visa.
It was my intention to enter South Ossetia from Gori, that is why I did not go back home in spite of the bad experience and lack of money.
Batumi was much more beautiful in Soviet Union times, when I first time visited the town. I remember the so many gardens around.
In 2007, after my bad experience, it looked to me an ugly city.
From Gori I crossed the many borders and finally entered (camouflaged among women selling apples) to South Ossetia.

• Last visit to Ajaria [provisional]: Oct 2007
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

jorgejuansanchez

“Memento mori”

Badges & Stats in Ajaria [provisional]

Have you been to Ajaria [provisional]?