"Problems when crossing the border" Ajaria [provisional] by jorgejuansanchez
Ajaria [provisional] Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 2 photos
After I visited Abkhazia I went back to Russia (there is not official transport communication between Abkhazia and Ajaria or Georgia), boarded a ferry in Sochi to Trabzon and then entered Georgia.
That was a very serious mistake.
At the border the Georgians authorities saw in my passport the stamp Adler, when I entered Abkhazia overland. Then they discovered that I had been in Abkhazia, illegally according to them.
I was sent to jail in Batumi during 3 days, without food, and until I had not paid a “fine” of 2000 euro through a negotiator that I was sent to the jail, I was not released (after a fictitious trial in a tribunal).
After my release the authorities thought that I wanted go back to Spain and forget about Ajaria and Georgia, but I asked an entry stamp in my passport (Spanish do not need visa to visit Georgia). They were surprised and granted me a 90 days visitor visa.
It was my intention to enter South Ossetia from Gori, that is why I did not go back home in spite of the bad experience and lack of money.
Batumi was much more beautiful in Soviet Union times, when I first time visited the town. I remember the so many gardens around.
In 2007, after my bad experience, it looked to me an ugly city.
From Gori I crossed the many borders and finally entered (camouflaged among women selling apples) to South Ossetia.
jorgejuansanchez's Related Pages
Ajaria [provisional] Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ajaria [provisional]
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (182)
Have you been to Ajaria [provisional]?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ajaria [provisional]
Top 10 Pages
- Blagoveshchensk Intro, 251 reviews, 518 photos, 8 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 103 reviews, 81 photos
- Madrid Intro, 50 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 43 reviews, 91 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 28 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ulaanbaatar Intro, 29 reviews, 51 photos
- Salvador da Bahia Intro, 16 reviews, 63 photos
- Santiago Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos
- Beijing Intro, 19 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nalanda Intro, 21 reviews, 49 photos