"Th White City" Belgrade by jorgejuansanchez
Belgrade Travel Guide: 2,414 reviews and 5,070 photos
I visited Belgrade in 1978, when it was the capital of Yugoslavia.
In those times if you wanted to visit the Socialist Republics of Eastern Europe you had to go with an organized tour, and that is what I did. I joined a group of about forty Spanish tourists, from Madrid, Barcelona, Sevilla and other cities. We flew from Madrid to Belgrade together with a Spanish man accompanying us as responsible of our group. At the airport we met another guide, Yugoslavian, who could speak Spanish.
Everything was included in our tour around the country, accommodation, meals and visits to museums and other tourists? attractions.
With so many daily activities we only had free time after dinner, when you could walk around the city, without risking going far from our hotel, so we were advised by our Yugoslavian guide.
Many years later, when Yugoslavia had split up, I would revisit republic after republic, already independent, and when I arrived to Belgrade I do not know why but I did not feel good. I preferred the old Belgrade, when it was Yugoslavia capital. I missed the friendly and sincere atmosphere of the old times in the White City (Belgrade means white city) located in the confluence of the rivers Danube and Sava.
Me adventures lived in 1978 together with the Spanish tourists, when, thanks to my knowledge of Russian (very close related to the Serbian) I could act as their guide, changing Spanish clothes for Yugoslavian souvenirs, and entering in the nights places ?forbidden? for foreigners, vanished away forever, and that is why I felt nostalgia for the good old times.
jorgejuansanchez's Related Pages
Belgrade Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Belgrade, sweet Belgrade"
- "WHITE TOWN"
- "B E L G R A D E"
- "My home town"
- "4 days in Belgrade"
- "Welcome to Beograd-Capital of Serbia & Montenegro!"
- "48 Hours in the White City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Belgrade
- Hotels in Belgrade
- Transportation in Belgrade
- Nightlife in Belgrade
- Restaurants in Belgrade
- Shopping in Belgrade
- Warnings and Dangers in Belgrade
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Belgrade
- 0 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (181)
Have you been to Belgrade?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Belgrade
Top 10 Pages
- Blagoveshchensk Intro, 250 reviews, 517 photos, 8 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 102 reviews, 72 photos
- Madrid Intro, 50 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 43 reviews, 91 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 28 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ulaanbaatar Intro, 29 reviews, 51 photos
- Salvador da Bahia Intro, 16 reviews, 63 photos
- Santiago Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos
- Beijing Intro, 19 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nalanda Intro, 21 reviews, 49 photos