"Th White City" Belgrade by jorgejuansanchez

Belgrade Travel Guide: 2,413 reviews and 5,067 photos

I visited Belgrade in 1978, when it was the capital of Yugoslavia.
In those times if you wanted to visit the Socialist Republics of Eastern Europe you had to go with an organized tour, and that is what I did. I joined a group of about forty Spanish tourists, from Madrid, Barcelona, Sevilla and other cities. We flew from Madrid to Belgrade together with a Spanish man accompanying us as responsible of our group. At the airport we met another guide, Yugoslavian, who could speak Spanish.
Everything was included in our tour around the country, accommodation, meals and visits to museums and other tourists? attractions.
With so many daily activities we only had free time after dinner, when you could walk around the city, without risking going far from our hotel, so we were advised by our Yugoslavian guide.
Many years later, when Yugoslavia had split up, I would revisit republic after republic, already independent, and when I arrived to Belgrade I do not know why but I did not feel good. I preferred the old Belgrade, when it was Yugoslavia capital. I missed the friendly and sincere atmosphere of the old times in the White City (Belgrade means white city) located in the confluence of the rivers Danube and Sava.
Me adventures lived in 1978 together with the Spanish tourists, when, thanks to my knowledge of Russian (very close related to the Serbian) I could act as their guide, changing Spanish clothes for Yugoslavian souvenirs, and entering in the nights places ?forbidden? for foreigners, vanished away forever, and that is why I felt nostalgia for the good old times.

• Last visit to Belgrade: Jan 1978
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

“Memento mori”

Badges & Stats in Belgrade

Have you been to Belgrade?

Latest Activity in Belgrade