"Exceptional island with Letonian inhabitants" Ward of Tobago by jorgejuansanchez

Ward of Tobago Travel Guide: 166 reviews and 321 photos

I went to Tobago Island by ferry (flying is for tourists. We, travellers, prefer to take boats, trains, buses, or just to walk to contact the local people and get to know more closely the country).
There are several sailings from Port of Spain. The boat was called T & T Ferry.
After a few hours the boat called in Scarborough, Tobago capital. I noticed that Tobago inhabitants are mainly black, from Africa, while in Trinidad the majority of the population is from India.
Tobago was baptized Bella Forma (beautiful shape) by Columbus, but it was never colonized by the Spaniards, although several times we removed from it the Dutch, who wanted to install themselves there. Spain only controlled Trinidad Island, until we cede it to England in 1802.
I read that the first colons to get to Tobago were the Latvians, from the Courland Dukedom, during the XVIII century. But they were soon expelled by the Caribs Indians. They returned several times and founded a fortress plus a Lutheran church. Afterwards, the Latvians founded another settlement, called New Courland, in an island of Gambia, Africa. I felt curiosity for the legacy of the Latvian people, so after visiting in the morning the town of Scarborough and its fruit market I walked during two hours to Plymouth (nobody gave me a lift). But I did not see any remains of them. Then I headed to Pigeon Point Beach to sleep on the sands of the beach, but before of that I climbed a coconut tree and cut two coconuts, one for my dinner and the other one for my breakfast.
In the morning I asked the tourists living in their yachts in that beach for a sailing boat heading to Europe, Canary Islands, for instance, but they told me that the Alisians winds (Trade winds) had finished. If I wanted to navigate to Europe, I had to get to Bermuda and then to the Azores archipelago. Since travelling to Bermuda was very expensive, I resolved to buy a cheap ticket to Frankfurt, for 300 euro, from Antigua, with Condor airlines.
So, I returned to Port of Spain by boat. The boat journey is a pleasure. During several hours you admire the coast of the island of Tobago and then of Trinidad. On board there are films and cafeterias. After Trinidad I headed to Carriacou Island.

• Last visit to Ward of Tobago: Oct 2008
  • Intro Updated Dec 9, 2008

Comments

jorgejuansanchez

“Qian li zhi xing, shi yu zu xia (Lao Tse proverb)”

Badges & Stats in Ward of Tobago

Have you been to Ward of Tobago?