"Taiga" Kemerovo by jorgejuansanchez

Kemerovo Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 10 photos

I have stopped for a few hours at least three times in Taiga, a small Kemerovo Oblast village on the Trans Siberian Line. In one of those occasions I had to spend the night in a hotel next to the railway station, in a place called Gostinitsa Taiga, located in Privoksalnaya street, number 9.
The reason was the connection with the Trans-Siberian train to or from Tomsk city, and also to Abakan, the capital of the Republic of Khakassia.

But the first time that I visited Kemerovo Oblast was in 1995. Then I slept one night in a hotel in the downtown of Novokuznetsk and made a short visit to that city the next morning, on my way by truck from the Altai Mountains to Mongolia. In that same journey I also made a brief visit to city of Kemerovo, capital of the Oblast of the same name.

Kemerovo Oblast is today an important industrial region owing to the fabulous deposits of coal. That is why it is not a touristic destination, but it is only interesting for travelers. For instance, during my three times that I stopped in Taiga, I learnt thanks to the peasants living there, that a school near the train station was an old Gulag, and many of its present inhabitants are old zeks (prisoners) that were released after Stalin death and had no other alternative to go but to stay in Taiga.

• Last visit to Kemerovo: Oct 2006
  • Intro Updated Sep 21, 2014

Comments

jorgejuansanchez

“Qian li zhi xing, shi yu zu xia (Lao Tse proverb)”

Badges & Stats in Kemerovo

Have you been to Kemerovo?

Latest Activity in Kemerovo