"Taiga" Kemerovo by jorgejuansanchez
Kemerovo Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 10 photos
I have stopped for a few hours at least three times in Taiga, a small Kemerovo Oblast village on the Trans Siberian Line. In one of those occasions I had to spend the night in a hotel next to the railway station, in a place called Gostinitsa Taiga, located in Privoksalnaya street, number 9.
The reason was the connection with the Trans-Siberian train to or from Tomsk city, and also to Abakan, the capital of the Republic of Khakassia.
But the first time that I visited Kemerovo Oblast was in 1995. Then I slept one night in a hotel in the downtown of Novokuznetsk and made a short visit to that city the next morning, on my way by truck from the Altai Mountains to Mongolia. In that same journey I also made a brief visit to city of Kemerovo, capital of the Oblast of the same name.
Kemerovo Oblast is today an important industrial region owing to the fabulous deposits of coal. That is why it is not a touristic destination, but it is only interesting for travelers. For instance, during my three times that I stopped in Taiga, I learnt thanks to the peasants living there, that a school near the train station was an old Gulag, and many of its present inhabitants are old zeks (prisoners) that were released after Stalin death and had no other alternative to go but to stay in Taiga.
jorgejuansanchez's Related Pages
Kemerovo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hot stone"
- "the sun always shines in siberia"
- "Cuatro días en Kemerovo con Irina"
- "Kemerovo Region Celebrates 70 years...."
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kemerovo
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Kemerovo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kemerovo
Photos in KemerovoSee All Photos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Madrid Intro, 35 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 74 reviews, 2 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 56 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tristan da Cunha Intro, 13 reviews, 53 photos
- Dahuk Intro, 9 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yanrakynnot Intro, 8 reviews, 43 photos
- Socotra Intro, 8 reviews, 42 photos
- Gyumri Intro, 14 reviews, 36 photos
- Tiksi Intro, 10 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mrauk-oo Intro, 9 reviews, 38 photos