"Arkaim archaeological site" Magnitogorsk by jorgejuansanchez
Magnitogorsk Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 39 photos
A few years ago I had the opportunity to spend several days in the ruins of Arkaim, dating from the XVII century before Christ, together with some archaeologists from Finland, USA and Russia.
Arkaim ruins were discovered in 1987 and its study depends on Chelyabinsk University. They are located at 150 kilometres from Magnitogorsk, in the same border with Kazakhstan, on the top of a hill.
They consist in three concentric circles, the minor of them having 165 metres of diameter. It was a time when Arkaim had a population of 2500 persons and traded with Babylonia, Khoresm civilization and with tribes in the Aral and Caspian Seas.
According to a theory, Arkaim has Turkish origin and its name means dorsal spine, or cordillera, but another theory affirms that the name means stream of a river.
jorgejuansanchez's Related Pages
Magnitogorsk Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Magnitogorsk
- Transportation in Magnitogorsk
- Restaurants in Magnitogorsk
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Magnitogorsk
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (117)
Have you been to Magnitogorsk?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Magnitogorsk
Top 10 Pages
- Madrid Intro, 35 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 74 reviews, 2 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 57 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Banja Luka Intro, 27 reviews, 39 photos
- Tristan da Cunha Intro, 13 reviews, 53 photos
- Dahuk Intro, 9 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yanrakynnot Intro, 8 reviews, 43 photos
- Socotra Intro, 8 reviews, 42 photos
- Madang Intro, 13 reviews, 37 photos
- Gyumri Intro, 14 reviews, 36 photos