"Ulysses and Penelope" Ithaki Island by jorgejuansanchez

Ithaki Island Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 45 photos

I visited Corfu Island in the year 2005, and spent a full day visiting the island during the day and sleeping on the beach (it was summertime) in the night.
At that time I was coming from India and on the way back home I was stopping to get to know interesting places, such as Rhodes and Corfu islands, before jumping to Italy and then to Barcelona, in my dear Spain.
But I felt that it was not enough, because Ionian is an archipelago composed by many islands. I felt myself a ?ticker? for collecting only one island of Ionian archipelago and staying there only one day.
So the next time that I was returning to Spain from a journey, this time to rare Eastern European territories (Gagauzia, Brcko, Trandnistria, Srpska, etc.), I decided to visit some other interesting islands belonging to Ionian archipelago, but this time not like a ticker, but like a traveler.
I chose Ithaca because of its history related to Ulysses and Penelope.
But it was not easy to get to Ithaca because there was not direct boat service there. In Lefkada Island (already in Ionian archipelago), where I spent one night, I took a ferry to Cephalonia Island, which was a pleasant surprise, and more beautiful than Ithaca, because of its unique Myrtos Beach, where I spent the second night.
The next day I continued my journey to Ithaca. The boat dropped me in Vathy, also known as Ithakis, where I spent my third and fourth nights enjoying the atmosphere of the place and its lovely bay, eating musaka, entering the cozy cafes in the harbor and talking with the kind Greeks.
Then I hitchhiked towards Frikes, in the north, to catch the next day the ferry back to Lefkada and afterwards to Bari, in Italy.
In Stavros, the capital of Ithaca Island, I stopped for a few hours, when I saw monuments devoted to Ulysses and a map of his odyssey, thus learning mythological history.
I finished my overland journey to Spain via Italy satisfied, because now I had been in four out of five Ionian main islands: Corfu, Lefkada, Cephalonia and Ithaca. Only Zakynthos Island was missing.

• Last visit to Ithaki Island: Jun 2009
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

“Memento mori”

Badges & Stats in Ithaki Island

Have you been to Ithaki Island?

Latest Activity in Ithaki Island