"The mythical city of Mrauk-U" Rakhine State by jorgejuansanchez
Rakhine State Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 56 photos
The Kingdom of Arakan (today Rakhine state) was independent until it was invaded by Burma in the XVIII century.
To get there you need first to fly to Sittwe, overland is not allowed. Then you have a boat to the mythical city of Mrauk-U during 6 or seven hours up the Kalandan River.
Not many tourists get there, only the brave. There are several hostels and even hotels for the travelers.
Mrauk-U is considered the second Bagan due to its many Buddhist temples and monasteries.
I travelled there during february 2012 and I was fortunate enough tomeet in Mrauk-U the californian traveler Jeff Shea, one of the greatest of the world. Discovering with him the exotic and unknown parts of the old Arakan Kingdom was a pleasure.
From Mrauk-U you have many interesting excursions; one of the most popular is visiting the Chin people up the mountains, bordering India, what we did.
jorgejuansanchez's Related Pages
Rakhine State Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lazy day up the river Kaladan"
- "A wonderful world apart !"
- "The mythical city of Mrauk-U"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rakhine State
- Hotels in Rakhine State
- Transportation in Rakhine State
- Nightlife in Rakhine State
- Warnings and Dangers in Rakhine State
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rakhine State
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Rakhine State?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rakhine State
Top 10 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 74 reviews, 2 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 55 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madrid Intro, 23 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Portugal Intro, 38 reviews, 3 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Castilla y León Intro, 24 reviews, 1 photo
- Catalunya Intro, 21 reviews, 3 photos
- India Intro, 21 reviews, 2 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 7 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Russia Intro, 14 reviews, 3 photos
- Santiago de Compostela Intro, 12 reviews, 4 photos