"The Golden Temple in Amritsar" State of Punjab by jorgejuansanchez
State of Punjab Travel Guide: 301 reviews and 910 photos
I crossed overland the border Pakistan – India and in Atari the Customs agents did not allow me to proceed further into India. They told me that it was forbidden to cross Punjab individually and I had to wait a bus coming from Istanbul which would appear after six hours. He confiscated my passport and small bag until I boarded that Turkish bus.
Six hours was too much time for me to wait. I proposed the agent to allow me to visit the golden Temple, in Amritsar, only a few kilometers away, and promised him to get back in time for the Turkish bus. I said that I would be generous. And saying this, I showed him a few ten rupees notes, ready to pass them to him.
He agreed and took my rupees, but my passport and bag would remain with him.
I caught a shared taxi and reached the most sacred temple for the Sikh religion, founded by Guru Nanak.
During three hours I visited everything inside the temple, and listen to the harmonic music played by some of the monks. Even I had a free lunch that the faithful Sikhs gave to all the visitors.
Back to the border I waited for the Turkish bus, but if was full and for taking me standing on the bus the driver asked me 20 US Dollars.
I refused and asked for help to the agent who allowed me to get to Amritsar. He then helped me to get into a military car to the border with Haryana, thus crossing the whole state of Punjab. Once in the border, in Ambala City, I hitchhiked and soon a bus, filled with Punjabi people, dropped me in Connaught Place, Delhi, for free.
Six months later, still during that journey, I crossed again Punjab, that time it was open to the foreigners, and stayed inside the Golden Temple invited during 3 days, participating in the Sikh ceremonies.
jorgejuansanchez's Related Pages
State of Punjab Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fields of Gold"
- "Trips to the Punjab"
- "welcome to punjab"
- "Punjab, India"
- "Punjab - half this side half that side"
- See All...
- Things to Do in State of Punjab
- Hotels in State of Punjab
- Transportation in State of Punjab
- Nightlife in State of Punjab
- Restaurants in State of Punjab
- Shopping in State of Punjab
- Warnings and Dangers in State of Punjab
- See All...
Badges & Stats in State of Punjab
- 0 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (183)
Have you been to State of Punjab?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in State of Punjab
Top 10 Pages
- Blagoveshchensk Intro, 251 reviews, 518 photos, 8 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 103 reviews, 81 photos
- Madrid Intro, 50 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 43 reviews, 91 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 28 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ulaanbaatar Intro, 29 reviews, 51 photos
- Salvador da Bahia Intro, 16 reviews, 63 photos
- Santiago Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos
- Beijing Intro, 19 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nalanda Intro, 21 reviews, 49 photos