"Ajanta and Ellora" State of Maharashtra by jorgejuansanchez
State of Maharashtra Travel Guide: 2,746 reviews and 6,355 photos
Coming from Sanchi, in Madhya Pradesh, I entered Maharashtra and would invest two days in visiting two remarkable places: the caves of Ajanta and Ellora, a UNESCO wonder.
Since I was coming from the north, the first visit that I made was at the caves of Ellora. The site consisted on about 30 caves representing statues of Buddhist, Hindu and Jain religions,
When I visited them all, I travelled to Ajanta, which was more attractive to me and its caves older than those of Ellora. I saw several stupas, frescoes and monasteries.
Ajanta also consisted on about 30 caves, but all the representations, including frescoes, were only Buddhist.
The third day, via Aurangabad, I traveled to Poona to know more about the controversial Chandra Mohan Jain, also known as Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh, or Osho, and even as “the sex guru”, which philosophy was in part based on leaving completely freedom to the libidinous instinct. According to him, sex was the key to solve many problems.
Hundreds of foreigners gathered around his ashrams, which was located at the suburbs of Poona. There were announcements of clinics to make the AIDS test (a requisite to visit Rajneesh ashram), many rickshaws offered their services, and kiosks prepared food at cheap prices for all that enormous quantity of foreigners from the five continents, especially Japanese young girls, waiting in the adjacent streets to be admitted in the ashram to practice Rajneesh philosophy.
Rajneesh died about eight months after my visit to his ashram, in January 1990, just when I finished my one year trip around India and had just arrived back home, in Spain. Everybody said that his dead was caused by AIDS.
From Poona I travelled to Bombay to visit Juhu beach and then took a boat to admire Elephant caves (after Ajanta and Ellora, Elephant caves were disappointing). Finally, a few days later, I left Maharashtra state to travel to Vasco da Gama, in Goa.
jorgejuansanchez's Related Pages
State of Maharashtra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "this was ....it"
- "Maha State"
- "Maharashtra - Great State"
- "Bombay juice shop"
- "MAHARASHTRA STATE, INDIA"
- "Maharashtra view from Aerial"
- "Ajanta and Ellora"
- See All...
- Things to Do in State of Maharashtra
- Hotels in State of Maharashtra
- Transportation in State of Maharashtra
- Nightlife in State of Maharashtra
- Restaurants in State of Maharashtra
- Shopping in State of Maharashtra
- Warnings and Dangers in State of Maharashtra
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in State of Maharashtra
- 0 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to State of Maharashtra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in State of Maharashtra
Top 10 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 72 reviews, 2 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 55 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Portugal Intro, 38 reviews, 3 photos
- Madrid Intro, 22 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Castilla y León Intro, 24 reviews, 1 photo
- Catalunya Intro, 21 reviews, 3 photos
- India Intro, 21 reviews, 2 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 7 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Russia Intro, 14 reviews, 3 photos
- Santiago de Compostela Intro, 12 reviews, 4 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (18)
Top State of Maharashtra hotels
- Mumbai Hotels
- 1981 Reviews - 3914 Photos
- Aurangabad Hotels
- 165 Reviews - 628 Photos
- Pune Hotels
- 195 Reviews - 316 Photos
- Nashik Hotels
- 6 Reviews - 7 Photos
- Gharapuri Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Nagpur Hotels
- 17 Reviews - 22 Photos
- Ajanta Hotels
- 82 Reviews - 315 Photos
- Butcher Island Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Alibag Hotels
- 12 Reviews - 46 Photos
- Diveagar Hotels
- 8 Reviews - 23 Photos
- Amboli Hotels
- 4 Reviews - 7 Photos
- Uran Hotels
- 1 Review
- Solapur Hotels
- 4 Reviews - 28 Photos
- Sangli Hotels
- 1 Review - 1 Photo
- Panchgani Hotels
- 9 Reviews - 22 Photos