"Ajanta and Ellora" State of Maharashtra by jorgejuansanchez

State of Maharashtra Travel Guide: 2,775 reviews and 6,468 photos

Coming from Sanchi, in Madhya Pradesh, I entered Maharashtra and would invest two days in visiting two remarkable places: the caves of Ajanta and Ellora, a UNESCO wonder.
Since I was coming from the north, the first visit that I made was at the caves of Ellora. The site consisted on about 30 caves representing statues of Buddhist, Hindu and Jain religions,
When I visited them all, I travelled to Ajanta, which was more attractive to me and its caves older than those of Ellora. I saw several stupas, frescoes and monasteries.
Ajanta also consisted on about 30 caves, but all the representations, including frescoes, were only Buddhist.

The third day, via Aurangabad, I traveled to Poona to know more about the controversial Chandra Mohan Jain, also known as Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh, or Osho, and even as “the sex guru”, which philosophy was in part based on leaving completely freedom to the libidinous instinct. According to him, sex was the key to solve many problems.
Hundreds of foreigners gathered around his ashrams, which was located at the suburbs of Poona. There were announcements of clinics to make the AIDS test (a requisite to visit Rajneesh ashram), many rickshaws offered their services, and kiosks prepared food at cheap prices for all that enormous quantity of foreigners from the five continents, especially Japanese young girls, waiting in the adjacent streets to be admitted in the ashram to practice Rajneesh philosophy.
Rajneesh died about eight months after my visit to his ashram, in January 1990, just when I finished my one year trip around India and had just arrived back home, in Spain. Everybody said that his dead was caused by AIDS.
From Poona I travelled to Bombay to visit Juhu beach and then took a boat to admire Elephant caves (after Ajanta and Ellora, Elephant caves were disappointing). Finally, a few days later, I left Maharashtra state to travel to Vasco da Gama, in Goa.

• Last visit to State of Maharashtra: Mar 1989
  • Intro Written Nov 12, 2011

Comments

jorgejuansanchez

“Qian li zhi xing, shi yu zu xia (Lao Tse proverb)”

Badges & Stats in State of Maharashtra

Have you been to State of Maharashtra?

Latest Activity in State of Maharashtra