"Lovely Shillong" State of Meghalaya by jorgejuansanchez
State of Meghalaya Travel Guide: 96 reviews and 385 photos
Shillong, Meghalaya capital, is a pretty town situated at about 1500 meters of altitude over the sea level. They are an interesting bazaar called Bara (Bara means great in Hindi)) and a pedestrian street in the Police Bazaar full of life during the night with stalls of food everywhere.
Meghalaya is inhabited by three tribal groups (Khassis, Jaintias and Bhois) that follow the matrilineal system society where the lineage and property pass down from mother to daughter and nothing is left for the sons.
In every Indian town you can find a travel agency offering one day excursions very cheap, for about 120 rupees (2 euro) showing you the main attractions of the town and surroundings. I bought such a cheap tour that lasted from 8 AM to 5 PM and admired the fourth highest water fall in the world (the first being Salto Angel in Venezuela). I also visited Don Bosco museum, Ramakrishna Mission, grottoes with stalactites symbolising the lingam of Shiva, typical houses and many other gorgeous places, such as Cherranpunjee, famous for being the heaviest rainfall area in the world. To get there we passed through gorges, exuberant vegetation, and saw lands belonging to Bangla Desh.
People were nice everywhere and saluted us with the greeting Namaste and immediately asked us “Apgesahe”.
One night I took a bus to Agartala, the capital of Tripura, the third Sister.
This waterfall is near to Bangla Desh
Cheap but mediocre. TV in the rooms for only one night is OK. No more. more travel advice
One of the many hotels in the area. It is OK for a couple of nights. very clean hotel more travel advice
jorgejuansanchez's Related Pages
State of Meghalaya Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lovely Shillong"
- "Meghalaya - The Scotland of the East"
- "Shillong-Capital of Meghalaya"
- "scotland of the east"
- "Meghalaya-abodeof clouds"
- See All...
- Things to Do in State of Meghalaya
- Hotels in State of Meghalaya
- Transportation in State of Meghalaya
- Nightlife in State of Meghalaya
- Restaurants in State of Meghalaya
- Shopping in State of Meghalaya
- Warnings and Dangers in State of Meghalaya
- See All...
Badges & Stats in State of Meghalaya
- 8 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to State of Meghalaya?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in State of Meghalaya
Top 10 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 72 reviews, 2 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 55 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Portugal Intro, 38 reviews, 3 photos
- Madrid Intro, 22 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Castilla y León Intro, 24 reviews, 1 photo
- Catalunya Intro, 21 reviews, 3 photos
- India Intro, 21 reviews, 2 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 7 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Russia Intro, 14 reviews, 3 photos
- Santiago de Compostela Intro, 12 reviews, 4 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (18)
Top State of Meghalaya hotels
- Shillong Hotels
- 78 Reviews - 309 Photos