"A moving love legend in Hainan" Hainan Sheng by jorgejuansanchez

Hainan Sheng Travel Guide: 246 reviews and 639 photos

Hainan Island was forbidden for foreigners the first time that I went to China, in 1982. At that time the Chinese authorities gave you an additional passport where they wrote in Chinese characters the cities that you were allowed to visit. Lhasa, Kashgar and Hainan Island were off limits.
But during my last trip to China, in June 2004, I decided to go.
I was surprised to see so many Chinese tourists for whom Hainan was a kind of Miami Beach in USA, or Acapulco in Mexico, or Costa del Sol in Spain. They came from Beijing, Shanghai, Xian, etc. All they had video camera and dressed with Bermudas pants. There were legions of them everywhere, especially in Sanyan.
Hainan is a surprising and beautiful Island, almost the size of Taiwan.
The first day I stayed in Sanya, in the south, where there is a lovely beach. I arrived there by bus from the port of Haokou. During my way back to Haikou I crossed the mountainous centre of the island, stopping in some villages where ethnic minorities lived.
I was told a romantic love story regarding the Li minority who live in Hainan Island (see picture):

A beautiful and kind-hearted goddess fell in love with a young hunter and she changed into a beautiful deer. The young man found the deer and chased it across 99 mountains and rivers. The deer ran quickly to a village nearby, turned its head around and became a beautiful girl. Astonished by this, the hunter put his arrow down and fell in love with her, and the two became an affectionate couple. They lived on this land, building their thatched cottage, farming and weaving, fishing and hunting, and planting coconuts to make their living.

According to this folklore, people built the Deer Goddess statue in Hainan Island to commemorate them.

• Intro Updated May 28, 2005

• Jareotto's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2008 at 10:32 PM

While I don't plan on using a tourguide to get around - I do appreciate the info on the language situation. Thanks! very helpful!

jorgejuansanchez

“Qian li zhi xing, shi yu zu xia (Lao Tse proverb)”

Badges & Stats in Hainan Sheng

Have you been to Hainan Sheng?

Latest Activity in Hainan Sheng