"A moving love legend in Hainan" Hainan Sheng by jorgejuansanchez
Hainan Sheng Travel Guide: 246 reviews and 640 photos
Hainan Island was forbidden for foreigners the first time that I went to China, in 1982. At that time the Chinese authorities gave you an additional passport where they wrote in Chinese characters the cities that you were allowed to visit. Lhasa, Kashgar and Hainan Island were off limits.
But during my last trip to China, in June 2004, I decided to go.
I was surprised to see so many Chinese tourists for whom Hainan was a kind of Miami Beach in USA, or Acapulco in Mexico, or Costa del Sol in Spain. They came from Beijing, Shanghai, Xian, etc. All they had video camera and dressed with Bermudas pants. There were legions of them everywhere, especially in Sanyan.
Hainan is a surprising and beautiful Island, almost the size of Taiwan.
The first day I stayed in Sanya, in the south, where there is a lovely beach. I arrived there by bus from the port of Haokou. During my way back to Haikou I crossed the mountainous centre of the island, stopping in some villages where ethnic minorities lived.
I was told a romantic love story regarding the Li minority who live in Hainan Island (see picture):
A beautiful and kind-hearted goddess fell in love with a young hunter and she changed into a beautiful deer. The young man found the deer and chased it across 99 mountains and rivers. The deer ran quickly to a village nearby, turned its head around and became a beautiful girl. Astonished by this, the hunter put his arrow down and fell in love with her, and the two became an affectionate couple. They lived on this land, building their thatched cottage, farming and weaving, fishing and hunting, and planting coconuts to make their living.
According to this folklore, people built the Deer Goddess statue in Hainan Island to commemorate them.
jorgejuansanchez's Related Pages
Hainan Sheng Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sanya, Hainan"
- "Coconut City - Hainan Island"
- "The island of light"
- "Sanya, Hainan Sheng"
- "A moving love legend in Hainan"
- "Kisu's new Hainan Page"
- "HaiNan Island, China"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hainan Sheng
- Hotels in Hainan Sheng
- Transportation in Hainan Sheng
- Nightlife in Hainan Sheng
- Restaurants in Hainan Sheng
- Shopping in Hainan Sheng
- Warnings and Dangers in Hainan Sheng
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hainan Sheng
- 1 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (131)
Have you been to Hainan Sheng?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hainan Sheng
Top 10 Pages
- Blagoveshchensk Intro, 242 reviews, 482 photos, 7 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 84 reviews, 24 photos
- Madrid Intro, 37 reviews, 54 photos, 2 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 57 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Banja Luka Intro, 27 reviews, 39 photos
- Tristan da Cunha Intro, 13 reviews, 53 photos
- Manila Intro, 16 reviews, 36 photos
- Dahuk Intro, 9 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gyumri Intro, 15 reviews, 37 photos
- Yanrakynnot Intro, 8 reviews, 43 photos