"Mogao caves" Gansu Sheng by jorgejuansanchez
Gansu Sheng Travel Guide: 544 reviews and 1,307 photos
Coming from Inner Mongolia by train I entered Ganzu and stayed the first night in Lanzhou, its capital, a city set by the Yellow River, where I had a meeting with an English girl (whom I had known visiting the Buddhist statues of Yungang Grottoes, in Datong, Shanxi) and with whom I had agreed to travel together in Sinkiang.
The next day, after visiting with my English friend the main tourist attractions of millenary Lanzhou, which was a stop in the Silk Road, we boarded a night train to a special place related with the Buddhist religion: the Mogao grottoes, a UNESCO Patrimony of the Humankind.
In the morning we arrived to Liuyuang, and from there we still had to hitchhike about 150 kilometers (a truck picked us up) to Dunhuang, in the middle of an oasis where the grottoes where located.
In that place we would spend a full day visiting several of the caves (there were about 500 temples in them, scattered along 25 kilometers!), or those permitted by the compulsory guide, a Chinese woman who opened the gate of every cave and explained us (in Chinese language) the history of the statues and murals representing Buddha.
We were subjugated by that extraordinary place, still better than the Yungang Grottoes of Datong. Some of the statues in Mogao exteriorized so vividly the look of Buddha that made us shake of the emotion.
Back in Liuyuang we continued our journey by train to Turpan, in Sinkiang.
jorgejuansanchez's Related Pages
Gansu Sheng Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gansu - Along the Ancient Silk Road"
- "Gansu, where the nomads roam"
- "Langmusi/Tatsang Lhamo"
- "The wild dusty place"
- "Jiayuguan, Gansu Province, West China"
- "The Silk Road-Gansu"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gansu Sheng
- Hotels in Gansu Sheng
- Transportation in Gansu Sheng
- Nightlife in Gansu Sheng
- Restaurants in Gansu Sheng
- Shopping in Gansu Sheng
- Warnings and Dangers in Gansu Sheng
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gansu Sheng
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (179)
Have you been to Gansu Sheng?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gansu Sheng
Top 10 Pages
- Blagoveshchensk Intro, 250 reviews, 517 photos, 8 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 102 reviews, 72 photos
- Madrid Intro, 50 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 43 reviews, 91 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 28 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ulaanbaatar Intro, 29 reviews, 51 photos
- Salvador da Bahia Intro, 16 reviews, 63 photos
- Santiago Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos
- Beijing Intro, 19 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nalanda Intro, 21 reviews, 49 photos