"Mogao caves" Gansu Sheng by jorgejuansanchez

Gansu Sheng Travel Guide: 544 reviews and 1,307 photos

Coming from Inner Mongolia by train I entered Ganzu and stayed the first night in Lanzhou, its capital, a city set by the Yellow River, where I had a meeting with an English girl (whom I had known visiting the Buddhist statues of Yungang Grottoes, in Datong, Shanxi) and with whom I had agreed to travel together in Sinkiang.
The next day, after visiting with my English friend the main tourist attractions of millenary Lanzhou, which was a stop in the Silk Road, we boarded a night train to a special place related with the Buddhist religion: the Mogao grottoes, a UNESCO Patrimony of the Humankind.
In the morning we arrived to Liuyuang, and from there we still had to hitchhike about 150 kilometers (a truck picked us up) to Dunhuang, in the middle of an oasis where the grottoes where located.
In that place we would spend a full day visiting several of the caves (there were about 500 temples in them, scattered along 25 kilometers!), or those permitted by the compulsory guide, a Chinese woman who opened the gate of every cave and explained us (in Chinese language) the history of the statues and murals representing Buddha.
We were subjugated by that extraordinary place, still better than the Yungang Grottoes of Datong. Some of the statues in Mogao exteriorized so vividly the look of Buddha that made us shake of the emotion.
Back in Liuyuang we continued our journey by train to Turpan, in Sinkiang.

• Last visit to Gansu Sheng: Oct 1982
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

“Memento mori”

Badges & Stats in Gansu Sheng

Have you been to Gansu Sheng?

Latest Activity in Gansu Sheng