"Guilin" Guangxi Zhuangzu Zizhiqu by jorgejuansanchez

Guangxi Zhuangzu Zizhiqu Travel Guide: 1,431 reviews and 4,325 photos

I arrived to Guilin from Kunming, in Yunnan, where I had spent several days discovering that region.
It was dark when I reached Guilin, I asked for a cheap place to stay and some nice Chinese boys sent me to Hotel Osmanthus, where I was given a bed in a dormitory, upstairs, for a very fair price.
In the morning, when I woke up, I was amazed to see from the windows the extraordinary and unreal view of the city: there were rock peaks with pagodas on its top, exuberant vegetation everywhere, a lovely river (Li river)? it was a beautiful place beyond imagination! It looked as taken from a fantastic Dali painting.
I decided to stay three days exploring that city because I fell in love with it. Guilin is the favorite place that the Chinese choose to spend their honey moon.
Visiting Seven Stars Park I knew Yangying, the ticket seller. We soon made friendship and we used to meet in the evenings, when she finished her work, to go to the cinema. I taught her some Spanish phrases and she taught me to improve my poor knowledge of Mandarin Chinese that I had learn recently, while working in Taipei during two months, as a waiter in a Mexican restaurant.
When I came back home (after 3 years, because I was making a long around the world journey crossing 46 United Nations countries), I sent her some books to learn Spanish language.
Then, in 1997, in the course of another around the world journey (this time of only 9 months), I crossed Vietnam and entered overland to China, first stopped in Nanning for one day, and then stayed for a couple of days in Guilin, just for nostalgia. I went to the Seven Stars Park asking for Yangying, but the new girls working there did not know about her, until an older employee remembered her and told me that she got married long ago and found another job elsewhere.
After Guilin I traveled by train to Harbin, in Manchuria, and later on, in Beijing, I arranged my visa for North Korea and flew to Pyongyang.

• Last visit to Guangxi Zhuangzu Zizhiqu: Dec 1982
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

“Memento mori”

Badges & Stats in Guangxi Zhuangzu Zizhiqu

Have you been to Guangxi Zhuangzu Zizhiqu?

Latest Activity in Guangxi Zhuangzu Zizhiqu