"Baffin Island" Nunavut by jorgejuansanchez
Nunavut Travel Guide: 114 reviews and 330 photos
Baffin Island is located in Nunavut, the Canadian province where I am now. Here, in Iqaluit, all the hotels charge 210 Canadian dollars for a simple room, if two persons, then you have to pay 420 dollars, plus tax...! Everything is very expensive, except the Salvation Army (food and accommodation for free), and internet for free in the Public Library. One kilo bananas in the supermarket costs 15 dollars. They sell fruits by units, about 20 times more expensive than in Spain. Everything has to been brought from Canada mainland. Inuit people are becoming lazy; they do not fish or hunt anymore. Instead, they receive money form the Government.
After trying in vain to get further north hitch hiking from Whitehorse, in Yukon, to Inuvik, I headed back to Dawson Creek, in British Columbia, then Peace River in north Alberta, and then Yellowknife, where after three days I decided to fly to Nunavut, to Baffin Island, with a stop in Rankin Inlet.
Canada is too expensive, so I sleep in Salvation Armies, where I eat and sleep for free together with local aborigines. They are nice people. At the beginning they did not like me, taking me for a white Canadian, I mean, for a European Canadian. They hate them because they think that they arrived from Europe, hungry, desperate, to kill them and rob their lands in Canada. But when I explained that I was from Spain and that my parents did not migrate to America to invade Indian and aborigines lands, but stayed in Spain, then they start considering me a friend, a visitor, but not an invader. I said that I went to Canada to admire their country. I have been accepted by them.
I keep waiting. On 21st June it will be a celebration, Aboriginal celebration coinciding with the entry of summer.
After the celebration I will head from Iqaluit to Quebec by plane, unfortunately, since there is not a boat service out of Baffin Island. And then will hitch hike to Labrador Peninsula.
I paid 1000 Canadian dollars for a o/w ticket to Iqaluit. The airplane made a stop of 3 hours in Rankin Inlet
jorgejuansanchez's Related Pages
Nunavut Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Canada's Newest Territory"
- "Baffin Island"
- "Summer in Nunavut"
- ""Our Land" since April 1, 1999"
- "Looking for bling"
- "The 2006 Arctic Mission!"
- "An Ultimate Adventure"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nunavut
- Hotels in Nunavut
- Transportation in Nunavut
- Nightlife in Nunavut
- Restaurants in Nunavut
- Shopping in Nunavut
- Warnings and Dangers in Nunavut
- See All...
Explore the World
- Frankfurt am Main
- Poortugaal Hotels
- Newport Beach
- Pulau Harimau Hotels
- Bow Valley Provincial Park Hotels
- Jones Beach State Park Hotels
- Ayia Napa
- Saint Simons Island
- Navotas Hotels
- Port Jefferson
- Sankt Goar
- Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area Hotels
Badges & Stats in Nunavut
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Nunavut?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nunavut
Top 10 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 72 reviews, 2 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 55 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Portugal Intro, 38 reviews, 3 photos
- Madrid Intro, 22 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Castilla y León Intro, 24 reviews, 1 photo
- Catalunya Intro, 21 reviews, 3 photos
- India Intro, 21 reviews, 2 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 7 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Russia Intro, 14 reviews, 3 photos
- Santiago de Compostela Intro, 12 reviews, 4 photos