"Perm and Tchaikovski" Permskaya Oblast' by jorgejuansanchez

Permskaya Oblast' Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 189 photos

Perm

After crossing the Urals from the Asiatic side, I arrived to Perm, in Europe, where I stayed one day exploring the town.
After having visited the previous day the historical Omsk, Perm (with 1 millions inhabitants) was not a very attractive city, but anyway I managed to extract the best of it.
From the railway station I walked to the downtown, which is not very far (at 1 kilometre, or 10 minutes walking), until I reached a great esplanade or square with many monuments.

Then I asked a group of men talking around a wooden bench, which were the main tourist attractions of Perm (I never carry any tourist “guide” because of its weight, the money that they cost and the obsolete information in them. Furthermore, I prefer to talk with the local people; I love to hear their voices).
The men suggested me several museums, and the Tartar mosque, not far from the cathedral.
I then walked there and went first into the mosque, painted in green, in a very nice style. I was allowed to wash myself and use the toilets.
Outside the mosque there were several kiosks selling good Tartar food, where I bought some eastern bread and other products brought from Kazan, which a few minutes later I ate on a bench in the central park.
Afterwards I walked to the cathedral, and in the afternoon I visited the main streets.

In the evening I took a bus to a place called Tchaikovski, still in Perm Oblast, where a Russian family had invited me to spend a few days with them.

Tchaikovski

After a 5 hours journey I reached Tchaikovski, late in the evening, and stayed with my friends 3 days (fish and guests smell after 3 days).
I thought that Tchaikovski derives from the family name of the famous compositor, Piotr Tchaikovski.
But no, he was not born there, but in a village called Votkinsk, at a few dozens kilometres of distance, inside the Republic of Udmurtia.
(I would visit Votkinsk a few days later. See my Udmurtia report).
The constructors gave that name to the town, to attract attention.
Tchaikosvski was a new city. It was constructed after Stalin death by the prisoner’s survivals of a Gulag nearby, since they had no place to live except their Gulag (during the URSS times you were allowed to live only in determinate place, where your permit, or “propusk”, indicated. All the country was in fact a prison).
Tchaikovski had around 100.000 inhabitants.

My friends showed me in their car around the Perm oblast, and we made excursions in the surroundings.
One of the most intimate was monks’ monastery at about 10 kilometres distance from Votkinsk.

The fifth day I continued my journey and left for the Republic of Udmurtia.

• Last visit to Permskaya Oblast': Sep 2009
  • Intro Written Oct 14, 2009

Comments

jorgejuansanchez

“Qian li zhi xing, shi yu zu xia (Lao Tse proverb)”

Badges & Stats in Permskaya Oblast'

Have you been to Permskaya Oblast'?

Latest Activity in Permskaya Oblast'