"Unspoilt lovely island" Porlamar by jorgejuansanchez

Porlamar Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 10 photos

I met Hugo Chavez in Porlamar

I expected Margarita Island to be a tourist resort, full with foreigners from Spain and other European countries who travel there looking for the beaches and good weather. There is even a low cost airline company from Germany which flies from Frankfurt to Isla Margarita several days a week.
But no! Yes, in Margarita Island there were Europeans tourists, of course, few, and also from Venezuela mainland, but the island has a population of about 700.000 inhabitants living in about 1000 square kilometers, so the tourists presence is imperceptible.
Isla Margarita has a special personality since is the capital of the only island state in Venezuela (Nueva Esparta), and has a lot of history related with Spain (it was discovered by Columbus) and shelters good looking churches, castles form the colonial period and many other places and nice beaches, apart from vestiges form the first inhabitants, the Indian guaiqueries.
In Isla Margarita I met a friend from Bilbao, Spain, who helped me with accommodation. Together with his family we visited by car the main tourists’ attractions, and even met Hugo Chaves during his visit to Porlamar, Margarita Island capital.
My favorite place to drink a local beer and contemplate the sunset before heading back home to my friend house was Juan Griego.

El Refugio de los Vagos

This was one of my favourite places to drink a beer Polar.

• Last visit to Porlamar: Sep 2008
  • Intro Updated Feb 26, 2015

“Memento mori”

Badges & Stats in Porlamar

Have you been to Porlamar?