"Crossing the Darien gap on foot and by boats" Capurganá by jorgejuansanchez

Capurganá Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 9 photos

I started in Puerto Obaldia, Panamá, my journey to lovely Cartagena de Indias, Colombia.
I had just spent an amazing week with San Blas islands local people, living like another one of them.
One of the Indians Kuna brought me to Puerto Obaldia to try to walk until the border with Panama.
Choosing the other point of entry overland into Colombia across the Darien gap was too dangerous for the Colombian guerrilleros and the narcotics traffickers, so I resolved to take the easiest and simplest way, getting to Capurganá first, in Chocó department, then to Turbo, in Antioquia department.
My travel plan worked out beautifully.
I was stamped in my passport an exit stamp from the Police of Panamá in Puerto Obaldía, then boarded a launch boat to Capurganá where I spent one day waiting for the Immigration authorities the next day.
Capurganá was a hidden paradise for Colombian tourists. I loved that place.
The Immigration officer (she was a lady, very nice) gave me 3 months stay in Colombia without asking me any question regarding why I chose that dangerous entry point, or how much money I was carrying with me.
Then, in the pier, I made acquaintance with a key man, Capitan Cartagena. I talked with him and by means of a fair price he brought me in his motorboat to Turbo, safely.
Once in Turbo, in Antioquia department, I boarded a bus and the next day I finally reached the loveliest colonial city in the whole of America: Cartagena de Indias.

Capitán Cartagena

• Last visit to Capurganá: Sep 2008
  • Intro Updated Sep 1, 2014

Comments

jorgejuansanchez

“Qian li zhi xing, shi yu zu xia (Lao Tse proverb)”

Badges & Stats in Capurganá

Have you been to Capurganá?

Photos in Capurganá