"One of the most charismatic Brazilian cities" Salvador da Bahia by jorgejuansanchez

Salvador da Bahia Travel Guide: 645 reviews and 1,398 photos

Pelourinho area

After my stay in the Carnival of Rio de Janeiro I bought a bus ticket northwards, to Salvador de Bahia.
On the bus I made friends with four Brazilian Jewish girls. Arriving in Salvador they went to find lodgment in the synagogue, for free.
I went with them, explained to the rabbi that I worked as a volunteer on a kibbutz near Gaza, and he invited me to stay.
The synagogue was full of Israeli travelers. In Israel, when young people finish their compulsory military service, three years for men and two women, The Israeli Government grants them 1 year vacation before joining the society as responsible adults. Two are the favorite destinations for spending this year: Europe and South America, and since they're always short of money, they are usually lodged in the synagogues of the big cities.
In Salvador I found life very quietly, at the contrary than in exciting Rio de Janeiro, and most of the population was black. It was common to see in almost any market places some boys practicing the fight-dance from Africa called capoeira, with martial effects, while another young man played a one-stringed instrument resembling a bow, called Jew's harp.
It is said that Salvador shelters 135 churches. But people are so fond of spiritualism that they advertise the sessions as if masses were treated and appear in newspapers and on posters in the streets. It is most common for a person, after leaving a Catholic Mass, thereupon attend a séance of spiritualism.
It was in Salvador more than any other Brazilian city where I discovered that women are so sensual that literally, just is enough an exchange of smiles in the streets and then immediately proceed to establish conversation, and soon after that to share intimacy. In that city women provoke men's friendship, even chasing them through the streets. And so each day, the Israelites boys of the synagogue and I had commitments to go to the beach with Brazilian girls, or listening to music in a pub to listen Bossa nova and then going to the beach to have more intimacy.

The fourth day of my stay in Salvador I bought a bus ticket to Belém, for that night.
A little before dawn, during the journey Salvador - Belém, we passed a health checkpoint and all the passengers we vaccinated against yellow fever. We were in the province of Para.

For some money they let you take them a picture.

Meeting brazilian friends in Salvador

You like a place for what you have felt and experienced there. To visit monuments and natural beauty is OK, and also UNESCO sites, but the best is to make friends with the local people or to meet an old friend.
That is why I love Salvador.
I had spent about one week in that pretty city in 1986. I enjoyed Salvador and made friends with some girls from Porto Alegre, we lived in the synagogue, for free (they were jew and I said that I had recently traveled in a kibbutz near Jerusalem, what was true). We all were short of money.
During my second stay in the year 2016 I met Paulo, a great traveler, the only one in South America who has been in all the 193 countries of the United Nations, he is one of the Magnificent Seven, together with german Heinz Stucke, french André Brugiroux, north american Jeff Shea,german Sascha Grabow, etc.
We had met in the past, in my home city Barcelona, a few years earlier.
Thanks to Paulo and his girlfriend Cris my day spent in Salvador was unforgettable.
Paulo did not let me pay anything, I was his guest, he affirmed. I was also short of money during that journey, as usual, so his generosity helped me to continue my journey around South America.
Apart from a good traveler he is a good man, what is is more important.
Paulo took me around Pelourinho area, then to the beaches, the lighthouse, the fortress, to several lovely churches and places of pilgrimage etc. And finally, after inviting me to lunch (the previous night he invited me to have dinner), we say hasta la vista in the rodoviaria, or bus terminal, from where I traveled to Tocantins state.

• Last visit to Salvador da Bahia: Jun 2016
  • Intro Updated Jul 29, 2016

“Memento mori”

Badges & Stats in Salvador da Bahia

Have you been to Salvador da Bahia?

Photos in Salvador da Bahia