"Mohenjo-Daro" Karachi by jorgejuansanchez

Karachi Travel Guide: 488 reviews and 1,043 photos

I did not like Karachi, the most populated city in Pakistan, I found it too crowded and with beggars everywhere who followed me, when they saw giving baksheesh to some children without legs, realizing that I was a Westerner, with the goal to get some rupees, but I could not give coins to everybody. Furthermore, my first day in that town two corrupted Policemen tried to rob me (fortunately without success), that was the reason why the second day of my stay I headed north, to Rawalpindi and then to the Himalaya.
I boarded a train and made a stop of one day in Mohenjo-Daro to observe the ruins of a civilization on the banks of the Indo River that prospered over 4000 years ago, at the same time than Greece and Egypt.
Mohenjo-Daro is in the list of Patrimonies if the Humankind by UNESCO.
Walking around the archeological site, among the ruins, I noticed a Buddhist Stupa, situated on the top of a hill.
In my way to Rawalpindi I could have stopped in Harappa, in Punjab, a settlement contemporary of Mohenjo-Daro, which represents another civilization centre. But not being an archeologist, I felt satisfied enough with my visit to Mohenjo-Daro to have an idea of the Indus Valley Civilization.
Finally I reached by train the city of Rawalpindi.

• Last visit to Karachi: Dec 1988
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

“Memento mori”

Badges & Stats in Karachi

Have you been to Karachi?

Latest Activity in Karachi